· Meat Science & Food Technology
Degrees will often be for Animal Science with a meat concentration.
· Associate’s Degree (2 years)
· Bachelor’s Degree (4 years)
· Master’s Degree (Varies)
· Doctorate Degree (Varies)
Combines the principles of biology, physiology and nutrition that drive growth. Students will study the impact of these principles on meat quality through hands-on experiences, internships, research, and study. This knowledge leads students to pursue careers in the food industry.
Coursework may cover the following areas: Animal Handling, Anatomy and Physiology, Nutrition, Genetics, Animal Evaluation and Selection, Animal Production and Management, Food Animal Processing, Carcass Evaluation, Processed Meats, Barbeque Science
Potential Career Paths
· USDA Certified Meat Inspector
· Additional certifications available
· Animal handling experience
· Livestock judging
· Meat judging
· Veterinary school with proper pre-requisites
· Internship or work experience related to animal agriculture