Degrees will often be for Animal Science with a swine concentration.
· Associate’s Degree (2 years)
· Bachelor’s Degree (4 years)
· Master’s Degree (Varies)
· Doctorate Degree (Varies)
If you are interested in pursuing a career in the pork industry, this major will allow you to primarily focus in this area. Swine Science will cover swine production and management. Students gain knowledge of anatomy and physiology as a basis for reproduction, nutrition and health management.
Coursework may cover the following areas: Anatomy & Physiology, Nutrition, Genetics, Swine Science, Biology, Chemistry, Breeding & Reproduction, Swine Production & Management, Carcass Evaluation, Animal Health & Welfare, Processing, Marketing, Evaluation & Selection
Potential Career Paths
· Certified A.I.
· Additional certifications available
· Animal handling experience
· Livestock judging
· Meat judging
· Internship or work experience related to animal agriculture
· Veterinary school with proper pre-requisites