Sow Farm Manager
A sow farm manager oversees all aspects of a sow farm where adult female hogs are housed to birth piglets and where those piglets remain for the first four weeks of their life. They must be able to have both people management and animal care skills.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Plan and direct all production phases on the farm and implement processes as required
- Implement action plans to meet farm-specific and company-set goals
- Actively communicate with the service manager and veterinarians to ensure heard health
- Be in compliance with all bio-security protocols and ensure all other employees and visitors are also in compliance
- Order feed, supplies, and equipment for the farm, herd, and employees
- Produce well written production reports in a timely manner
- Provide daily leadership and direction to all farm staff
- Reinforce compliance of all policies and procedures
- Conduct team meetings to communicate the goals and direction of the farm and the company
- Ensure all safety procedures are in place and take action to lower safety incidents on the farm to protect both the animals and sows
- Assist with the breeding of sows, gestation and farrowing of pigs
- Provide development opportunities for employees on the farm and offer guidance to employees to reach their personal and professional goals
- Train new employees on feeding, handling and other duties
- Maintain active communications with the production recruiter to inform of staffing needs
- Manage feed and medication inventory and supply
- Ensure cleanliness and sanitation of the site
- Keep thorough records of vaccinations, illness, medications, breeding etc.
What education and training is required?
An associates or bachelor’s degree in any livestock animal agriculture related field.
To pursue a career as a sow farm manager:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, mathematics, animal science, biology and chemistry.
Where can I work?
Sow Farm Managers may work for an independent farmer or for a company who owns or contracts the farm.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The future outlook for a sow farm manager will be good over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- National Livestock Producers Association
- National Pork Producer’s Councils