A financial analyst looks at various parts of a company’s finances in order to help them make better financial decisions.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Support planning and forecasting processes as well as strategic budget planning
- Develop and recommend broad financial policies and exercise control over all finance and accounting functions of the company
- Prepare, evaluate and monitor capital expenditure projects and long-term financial plans, and also the investment of liquid assets in short-term investments
- Provide analytical support on business results and achieving financial targets via data-driven insights and recommendations
- Provide financial support to procurement group in analysis and planning of purchasing
- Drive the budgeting process for capital expenditures, assuring quality and integrity of data
- Collaborate with personnel with budget responsibility to ensure the understanding of process and outcome
- Ensure month-end corporate financial and tax reporting requirements are met
- Assist in the design, development and implementation of savings initiatives, including management reporting and audit procedures
- Benchmark business metrics within the industry
- Collaborate on the development of final budget book and presentation materials that meet management's needs, including its presentation of budget information to the Board of Directors
- Manage forecasting to include detailed department level review of future cost trends
- Advise management of financial processes to ensure proper controls exist
What education and training is required?
A bachelor’s degree or higher in agricultural business, accounting or finance.
To pursue a career as a financial analyst:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, mathematics, English, business courses and statistics.
Where can I work?
Financial analysts can work in all aspects of agricultural companies to help them understand their finances and make decisions regarding those finances.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The job outlook for a financial analyst will be good over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- Associations of Financial Analysts
- Association for Financial Professionals
- The American Accounting Association