Commodity Procurement / Merchandiser
Commodity Procurement/Merchandisers oversee companies commodities and are responsible for trading, purchasing, locating, and customer accounts for each commodity.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Collaborate between feed formulators and plant managers to provide lowest cost options for all feeds, feed ingredients and feed products
- Point of contact for suppliers and external market consultants and resources
- Support the Commodities group by negotiating cost saving initiatives and cost mitigation efforts
- Determines strategic supply objectives using tools and reports for decision making around products and commodity purchases
- Assesses supply base and negotiates best cost structure
- Identifies and develop a reliable and effective base of qualified suppliers
- Takes action to address supplier pricing and/or delivery issues; advises management of market conditions and supply base activity which presents significant risk or needs to be elevated to management’s attention
- Drive continuous supplier quality improvement through participating in rapid improvement events, supplier quality audits, training and certifications as required
- May be responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing inter-departmental projects to achieve company initiatives
- Maintain complete updated purchasing records/data and pricing in company system
- Execution and monitoring of all regular purchasing duties
- Coordinate with user departments and suppliers in the purchasing scope of work for projects assigned
- Monitor and co-ordinate deliveries of items between suppliers to ensure that all items are delivered to site/plant on time , select and negotiate for the best purchase package in terms of quality, price, terms, deliveries and services with suppliers
- Plan and manage inventory levels of materials or products
- Monitor and co-ordinate deliveries of items between suppliers
What education and training is required?
Bachelor’s degree in agricultural business, Supply Chain Management, Accounting, or Finance.
To pursue a career in Commodity Procurement/Merchandising:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, science and mathematics.
Integrated animal production companies, seed/fertilizer/chemical dealers/producers, food production companies, cooperatives and elevator companies.
Future Job Market/Outlook:
The future outlook for Commodity Procurement/Merchandisers is projected to be excellent.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations:
- American Soybean Association
- National Corn Growers Association
- National Grain and Feed Association
- Mid-America International Agri-Trade Council