Accounting managers are responsible for the administration of management accounts, organizational budgeting and administration of accounting.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Manage information reports on specific topics at specified intervals
- Handle budget compilation and control, with analysis of monthly reports against budgets
- Interpret the statistical and accounting information to appraise operating results in terms of cost, budgets, and policies of operation, trends and increased profit possibilities
- Maintain general ledger
- Manage the closing and balance sheet reconciliation processes
- Oversee accounting processes including financial statements reporting, foreign currency accounting, fixed assets, governmental reporting and other accounting activities
- Oversee financial risk management processes
- Coordinate the preparation of yearly budgets
- Analyze and interpret monthly operating or project performance against budget
- Develop accounting and financial management systems and reports
- Train accountants under your leadership
- Establish and monitor internal controls and processes
- Work with internal and external audit agencies on quarterly and annual income statements
- Prepare monthly management reports
- Responsible for inventory controls and accuracy
What education and training is required?
A bachelor’s degree in accounting is required to become an accounting manager. Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is highly desired as is a master’s degree in business administration or accounting.
To pursue a career as an Accounting Manager:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, accounting, business courses, economics, government, and computer courses and mathematics.
Where can I work?
Accounting managers are employed by nearly all companies in agricultural as well as accounting firms and government entities.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The future outlook for an accounting manager will be good over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- CPA Connect
- American Institute of CPA’s
- National Society of Accountants
- The American Accounting Association
- American Agricultural Economics Association