Information Technology (IT) Software Developer
Software developers create programs for computers or other devices that fill a specific need or niche within an agricultural business.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Provide technical and systems design expertise to assist in the development, implementation, review and upgrade of Microsoft.Net-based management and decision making systems
- Act proactively in providing suggestions in regards to product development, new services and technologies or enhancements to existing systems/configurations which will assist the end user in improving overall service to customers
- Develop test plans along with expected results and perform quality testing
- Prepare implementation plans along with back-out and recovery plans
- Install and test software
- Provide on-going production support as needed
- Provide estimates on project requests; ensure timely delivery based on the estimates
- Actively participates on assigned team projects fulfilling task assignments, meeting deadlines, and proactively seeking attainment of team goals
- Ensures that technical skills are kept up to date to provide most efficient support to end users
- Assists in the development of programming expertise within the systems development team
- Promote agile practices such as continuous integration, paired programming, and cross-functional development within the team
- Knowledge of agricultural terminology specific to the sector of agriculture the software is being developed for is a plus.
What education and training is required?
A bachelor’s degree in computer science or computer engineering is required.
To pursue a career as a software developer:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, computer courses, mathematics and coding.
Where can I work?
Agricultural companies that provide software solutions to producer/end user will employ software developers to create and maintain software programs.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The job outlook for a software developer will be great over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- Association of Information Technology Professionals
- Software Development Forum
- Association of Software Professionals