Information Technology (IT) Programmer
An IT analyst ensures that writing, testing and maintenance of computer programs and applications are analyzed to meet user and process needs.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Design all or part of an information system
- Oversee program design activities to ensure they meet business process objectives
- Analyze development objectives against corporate objectives and problems specified by analysts and/or designers
- Perform all programming and/or configuration assignments
- Define and incorporate system security and control procedures to protect data entrusted to assigned systems
- Analyze and resolve software errors in a timely and accurate fashion
- Ensure the documentation for programming, users of the system and other support service workers meet overall business process
- Provide status reports where required
- Draft design specifications for software applications
- Create and maintain documentation for code and/or configuration throughout the system development lifecycle
- Ensure the testing of the programs meet acceptance criteria
- Train end users on established programs
- Provide on-call support and problem resolution
- Perform required maintenance and install enhancements to ensure effective operation of systems
What education and training is required?
An associate’s or bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or other technical area is needed to pursue a career as an IT Programmer.
To pursue a career as an IT Programmer:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, mathematics and computer courses.
Where can I work?
IT Programmers work for medium to large-scale agricultural companies with both internal and external software maintenance needs.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The future outlook for an IT programmer will be great over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- Association of Information Technology Professionals
- National Association of Programmers
- Network Professionals Association
- Software Development Forum