A graphic designer creates and designs graphical marketing content and media using computer software.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Develop creative concepts for business marketing needs, externally or internally
- Work through various media forms producing promotional materials: print, video, social media, presentations, ads, blogs, newsletters, etc.
- Knowledge of various design software tools
- Work with communications/marketing team to execute outlined marketing strategies
- Keep abreast of changes, rules, regulations as related to various content and platforms
- Develop new creative assets for print following established brand guidelines
- Develop marketing campaign concepts and deliver through multi-channel execution (print and digital)
- Create digital assets for website the and mobile sites
- Support design needs of various departments as assigned
- Ensure all brand standards are adhered to
- Package and label design
- Create and maintain technical labels/instructions for all products
- Maintain print collateral library and requests (orders for sales staff and distribution)
- Manage all company merchandise design, ordering and vendor relations
What education and training is required?
A graphic designer should obtain an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in graphic design, digital marketing, or other related field.
To pursue a career as a graphic designer:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, English, mathematics, art and computer courses.
Where can I work?
Graphic designers can work independently or may work for companies/organizations as well as marketing agencies.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The future outlook for a graphic designer will be great over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- National Agri-Marketing Association
- American Institute of Graphic Art (AIGA)
- Graphic Artist Guild
- Society of Illustrators, Artists and Designers