Energy Sales Specialist
Energy sales specialists are responsible for generating sales of fuel in the assigned territory through a variety of methods including target marketing, competitive analysis, and providing value-added energy products, services, and recommendations.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Maintain a prospect list and conduct sales calls on existing and potential fuel prospects
- Organize training for sales staff
- Record sales or delivery information
- Aid in developing price lists, innovative sales programs, sales prospects and customer incentives
- Disseminate sales programs, inventory, and product information to the professional sales force and customers
- Monitor, coordinate and lead sales activities, product needs, and service requirements
- Ensure the credit worthiness of customers, promoting the use of credit programs as a sales tool and helping provide the required information to establish credit
- Be knowledgeable of company programs, billing procedures, and monthly statement process
- Provide customer service by using all resources available including contracting, fuel and oil testing, specific recommendations and other programs needed
- Develop territory and competitive analysis to maintain current knowledge of the market place and the competition
- Establish a route system in delivery territory, deliver petroleum products according to customer requirements
- Communicate marketing programs and distribute sales promotion materials to customers and prospects
- Collect accounts as needed according to credit policy
- Follow up on customer complaints and seeks solutions in a timely manner
What education and training is required?
An associates or bachelor’s degree in agriculture business, marketing, accounting, or other business related field.
To pursue a career as an energy sales specialist
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, a focus on sciences such as earth science and biology, chemistry, and mathematics.
Where can I work?
Energy Sales Specialist may be employed by cooperatives as well as wind and solar energy construction and equipment companies.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The job outlook for energy sales specialists over the next five years is good.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- American Farm Bureau
- American Trucking Association
- State Agribusiness Association
- Retail Energy Supply Association
- North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners