Ontario Pork, in Guelph, is looking for a full time Policy Analyst to join their team on a fulltime, permanent basis. The successful candidate must have experience working in the agriculture sector or understand the needs and demands of those employed in this sector. Experience in the pork industry would be considered an asset.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Policy Analyst will assist with the vision, creativity and innovation for Ontario Pork in a manner that provides strategic policy planning and implementation advice to senior management consistent with the organization’s strategy, goals, vision and mission, of working in a way that is team-focused and results-oriented, so that the customers’ needs can be met within a changing marketplace.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Extracts, collects and aggregates data across databases, information sources, survey responses, and other data sources; ensures data quality; cleans and checks exiting data for consistency and accuracy.
- Providing analysis and interpretation of policy options.
- Provide policy and program support for implementing and educating producers, associations and industry partners about the value in participating in National programs.
- Assists with researching, analyzing, developing policy positions, papers, briefs, resolutions and other policy communication tools.
- Support, coordinate, and project manage in certain areas such as, new policy frameworks/regulations, and information sharing agreements.
- Collaborates with team in collecting and assembling a variety of information from within and outside the organization and makes recommendations regarding changes in operating policies and procedures to provide better customer service and to deliver service in a more timely and efficient way.
- Maintains a working knowledge of federal, provincial and municipal regulations affecting the swine industry. Uses this knowledge to inform research and provide advice to Senior Management.
- Attend consultation meetings for program and policy development.
- Attend industry meetings for program and policy development and cooperation on programs with other commodity groups.
- Supports government relations by briefing leadership and direct engagement.
- Coordinates activities with advisory committee chairs.
- Post-secondary education in Economics or Political Science preferred.
- Proficient in electronic communication systems.
- Economics and modelling background an asset.
- Experience in business risk management an asset.
- Solid understanding of related environmental, production and industry issues.
- Experience in the field of agriculture would be ideal
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal
- Excellent computer skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Able to deal with conflict management.
- Drive and desire to succeed.
- Team player, self-motivated.
- Proficient in word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Strong research skills and the ability to use the internet.
- A valid driver’s license and a minimum of $1,000,000 liability vehicle coverage.
- Analytical, organized, strong verbal and written communication skills, diplomatic, strong drive, results oriented, good time management skills and flexible.
To apply click on APPLY TO THIS POSITION at the top or bottom of this Job Posting.