Scoular is an employee-owned $6B agribusiness leading the way since 1892. We buy, sell, store, handle and process grain and ingredients by leveraging our global networks and expertise in international trade and transportation. Employing more than 1,000 people in over 100 offices and facilities in North America and Asia, we provide safe and reliable solutions to farmers, grain processors, renewable energy producers, and manufacturers of animal feed, aquafeed, pet food, and food, beverage, and supplements. Our deep involvement in the global agricultural supply chain gives us the ability to quickly assess market needs and identify opportunities for growth and innovation.
The Systems Engineer will take a major role supporting and contributing to productive work teams, projects/initiatives, developing, implementing, and delivering innovative agile business “value added” solutions, in the areas of business systems/processes, automation and workflow. All of these are positioned to strengthen and improve Scoular’s overall business/customer partnerships, decreasing transactional costs, while enhancing product/service offerings, information shares, data, process, and workflow efficiencies providing value back to our business partners/customers helping them to grow their business and to gain a competitive advantage.
Support the development and maintenance of our CTRM system.
- Interacts with internal and external business partners following approved governance to build and test all components, implementing, and delivering high quality solutions that meet the needs of our business partners.
- Identify areas of improvement and present a plan of action
- Provide support to other systems by developing APIs that allow for seamless integrations across our varied IT systems
- Develop new features and work on projects as directed
- Perform production support duties as we receive Incident notifications
- Participate in the On-Call rotation
- Participate as a learner and a teacher in our in-house training sessions
- Follow approved change control procedures for code migrations
Review & participate with Discovery around modernization tools
- Help to review and strengthen modernization efforts on the IBMi. Promote new tools and deliver projects using modern coding techniques
Communication and Collaboration with Scoular & Digital teams
- Present and communicate with both upper management and business units as to newly created solutions and opportunities. Work with Digital Business, other IT Teams, business units and other Scoular departments to identify areas of need and areas of potential efficiencies and growth.
Research and Discovery
- Conduct research and discovery around emerging technology and consider potential value in alignment with Scoular's business models and strategy.
Exhibit Strong Analytical and Interpersonal Skills
- Exhibit strong analytical, problem solving, communication and interpersonal skills to be highly effective in both leading Scoular team members and initiatives, as well as working with outside third-party vendors and resources.
- BS required or equivalent experience or training
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as an IBM iSeries developer.
- Experience in RPGILE and RPG free.
- Experience with proper debugging techniques of interactive and batch jobs.
- Experience with DDS, CL, External Print Files
- Experience with embedded SQL in RPG programs.
- In-depth knowledge of SQL. Must be able to write and maintain complex SQL code.
- Ability to learn emerging technologies, continuing education as necessary to support enterprise analytic solutions
- High level of customer service orientation
- Ability to communicate information and think creatively
- Must be able to work independently or in a team environment
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks
- Superior Project management skills and experience
- Ability to work independently to research and solve problems
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to work on short notice when necessary (on call duties included)
- Ability to work with, communicate effectively with and influence all levels of the organization.
- Innately curious, strong critical thinker and a growth mindset.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects and deadlines simultaneously with limited supervision.
- Ability to travel as needed
- Understanding of Rest Web Services, JSON, HTML, XML
- Rational Developer for I (RDI) experience
- Writing web services in RPG
- Ability to write technical documents.
- IBM i modernization - application and database
- IBM web frameworks - Profound, etc.
- Implementer – change management.