An employee-owned company with more than $4 billion in sales, Scoular employs more than 1,000 people in over 100 offices and facilities in North and South America, and Asia. For over 125 years, feed and food customers have been counting on Scoular to create safe and reliable supply chain solutions for end-users and suppliers of grain, feed ingredients, and food ingredients around the globe.
The Logistics Assistant II manages the daily operations of freight and ocean steamship line responsibilities. The position will assist Merchants in execution of grain shipments, primarily container exports. Understanding individual customer requirements is essential. Provide hands-on logistics and freight management in order to facilitate the efficient and effective movement of product within a dynamic market environment and to provide superior customer support. Work with steamship lines to collect accurate Bill of Ladings and freight bills. Interaction with buyers, sellers, and freight providers is integral to success.
Steamship Line Management
- Maintain consistent and time sensitive contact with all freight providers, including key steamship lines, intermodal freight suppliers, truckers, and drayage providers
- For key trade lanes, maintain a general understanding of supply of empty containers, vessel space, and freight rates
- Make container export bookings via online portals, phone, and email. Make changes/updates as needed for business execution.
- Create Shipping Orders for Loading Origins, Drayage/Truckers, and FGIS Inspection using established group templates.
- Send out shipping orders in a timely fashion and maintain communication with parties involved with freight until shipping completion.
- Keep all freight management systems up-to-date and send out schedules/updates to customers via email.
- Look for ways to improve customer experience regarding sharing of customer's schedule (e.g. thru IT system upgrades/improvements).
- Effectively communicate with Merchants as to changes within the freight market and in particular freight rates and steamship line capabilities.
- Maintain an up-to-date database of all steamship line contacts, including ability to interact online or phone with different steamship line departments (bookings, equipment, documentation, etc).
- Receive booking confirmations (new & updates) and accurately understand/input data in freight management systems
- Understand basic routing and transit times on key shipping lanes and track shipments during transit.
- Facilitate time sensitive problem resolution regarding shipping execution, including but not limited to the following: ERD/Cut dates not matching our confirmation, rail billing, sudden booking cancellation, low empty equipment availability.
- File AES, CAED, and VGM
- Send out Shipping Instructions (SI) to steamship lines
- Proof Bill of Ladings (BLs). Be the lead on BL corrections/amendments until carrier provides corrected and final BL.
- Check with Steamship Lines on special requests, such as Change of Destination, free time requirements, empty pickup depot, destination depot returns, etc.
- Ensure Ocean Freight BL's are accurately priced to Scoular freight contracts and initiate dispute on incorrectly priced invoices.
- Provide assistance to Merchants relative to customer management including but not limited to the following: gather documents, answer phone calls, and generally assist with trade execution.
- Provide assistance to Merchants on domestic trade including but not limited to the following: intermodal, hopper truck freight, LTL shipments
- Provide assistance to accounting and control regarding freight register
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Experience in container logistics management
- Experience and demonstrated excellence in customer management
- Interest in the agriculture commodity trade industry
- Ability to accurately complete repetitive tasks
- Excellent people management and communication skills
The Scoular Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer
See job description