Scoular is an employee-owned $6B agribusiness leading the way since 1892. We buy, sell, store, handle and process grain and ingredients by leveraging our global networks and expertise in international trade and transportation. Employing more than 1,000 people in over 100 offices and facilities in North America and Asia, we provide safe and reliable solutions to farmers, grain processors, renewable energy producers, and manufacturers of animal feed, aquafeed, pet food, and food, beverage, and supplements. Our deep involvement in the global agricultural supply chain gives us the ability to quickly assess market needs and identify opportunities for growth and innovation.
The Corporate Assistant Controller will report to the Corporate Controller and oversee the financial reporting process including preparing the consolidated financial statements and general accounting. In the role, you will be able to help drive and leverage technology to deliver results. Key aspects will include being responsible for internal controls to safeguard the company’s assets by monitoring compliance with company policies and procedures, identifying and reporting risk exposure, and by analyzing and reporting financial information. The candidate will also be the lead to ensure that Scoular has the proper application of GAAP reporting. In the role, the Assistant Controller will oversee the management, training, and development of the corporate accounting department.
- Manage and be a team leader ensuring proactive development and performance of the corporate accounting department
- Oversee the elimination and consolidation, the monthly close process, and prepare the monthly consolidated financial statements
- Be product owner of Concur on enterprise-wide expense reporting
- Oversee the accounting for capital projects and the corresponding fixed asset/long-lived asset accounting
- Manage the coordination of accounting for Scoular’s international operations
- Oversee the annual audit and preparation of the annual report
- Provide technical accounting research for critical accounting issues related to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) for acquisitions and greenfield projects.
- Ensure that internal controls are adhered to and provide recommendations on process enhancements necessary to safeguard Scoular’s assets. Prepare and review Scoular’s SOPs (Statements of Procedures) for best practices.
- Build and maintain relationships with business leaders serving as a business partner. Enhance cross-functional collaboration by fostering trust, commitment, accountability, and results.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business
- Minimum of eight plus years of experience in accounting, auditing, or finance and experience in actively managing teams
- A strong understanding of US GAAP
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Experience in working with accounting information systems
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to research and solve problems
- Ability to work under pressure and at times, within tight deadlines
- Ability to independently think and derive solutions for accounting treatment in complex business scenarios
- Ability to lead, manage, and create a positive team culture
- Ability to communicate with employees at all levels throughout the organization
- Expertise in utilizing and configuring Scoular’s AIS systems
- Provide influence to implement processes and change management across group
- Ability to delegate Ability to have agile mindset to meet business needs in ever-changing environment
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant), CMA (Certified Management Accountant), or CIA (Certified Internal Auditor) designation a plus
- Commodity/mark to market accounting experience