Join a team that shares your passion and enthusiasm for Canadian feed! New-Life Mills, a division of Parrish & Heimbecker, Limited (P&H), has an opportunity for a strategic and analytical individual to bring their skills and experience to a fast-paced environment in the role of Nutritional Formulator based in Cambridge, Ontario. This is an 18 month full time contract covering for a maternity leave.
Make a Difference
This position gives you the ability to play a key role in Canada’s dynamic feed industry while maintaining a healthy and fulfilling work/life balance.
Work and grow with a family-owned company.
New-Life Mills is an exciting place to develop and grow a career in agriculture and agricultural processing, supporting Canadian producers of poultry and livestock as well as producers who grow and sell their crops to global markets. Part of a family-owned Canadian company with deep roots in grain trading, flour milling, animal feed production and live animal management, New-Life Mills has been serving the needs of livestock and poultry producers for more than 50 years.
P&H’s roots go back over 110 years, and we have always been a Canadian, family-owned and managed agri-business. Our corporate culture values are family values; honesty and integrity with a focus on listening and continuous learning. Like family, we support our staff to always do better.
Skills and experience for the next step in your career.
The Nutritional Formulator will work directly with the Manager of Data & Formulation and the Nutrition and Technical Integration team to efficiently and effectively support what is happening in the field while enabling the nutritionists to be in the field supporting sales/producers. The primary responsibilities will be to make changes to ingredients and formulas as directed by the nutritionists, to assist with the generation of pricing information, and to provide data analysis and management to improve accuracy, service and performance in the field.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Work with formulation, product tagging (labelling) and accounting software:
- Formula related tasks (creation, maintenance, discontinuation)
- Ingredient related tasks (creation, pricing maintenance)
- Updating tags according to formulation adjustments
- Tag review and updates as needed to ensure CFIA compliance, medication levels compliance and correct information
- Updating pricing and formula information according to formulation adjustments
- Customer and consultant Formula paperwork generation where applicable
- Provide back-up to Manager of Data and Formulation position for weekly price list/optimization:
- Distribution of ingredient cost sheets
- Update of Brill ingredient pricing, recalculation of formula pricing
- Electronic and pdf transfer of formulation to production
- Miscellaneous tasks related to weekly ingredient price update
- Thorough understanding of the process to enable ability to troubleshoot independently when issues arise
- Pricing scenarios for Purchasing staff
- Lab Database management:
- Receive, distribute and import lab analysis data
- Brill Data importation to Lab DB
- Between meetings, review ingredient analyses and highlight anomalies for nutritionists
- Handling of Lab DB during ingredient review meetings, follow-through post meeting
- Interface with different groups to determine if more compatible formats between companies can be established
- Working with consultants to facilitate importation of formulas
- Interact with and assist staff from feed manufacturing facilities
- Ingredient availability, re-works, substitutions, ingredient usage / restriction, feed quality, quality assurance / quality control, plant efficiency and through-put
- Assist with special projects related to research trials (assist with statistical analysis and writing research white papers)
- Develop expertise in computer software/development where appropriate and applicable
- Other duties as necessary or assigned
The successful candidate should enter the position with the following qualifications:
- BSc in Nutrition or a related field, MSc in Nutrition would be an asset;
- Good knowledge and the ability to enforce Laws, Rules, Regulations , willingness to understand and apply CFIA and HACCP rules;
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, computer) and having the ability to write research reports in a clear, layman’s terms fashion, ability to write professional emails to internal and external customers
- Command of the Microsoft Office Suite of software products
- Strong Attention to detail (e.g. reviewing a formula and asking the right questions, looking for the right information to assess whether the diet is appropriate)
- Planning, Organizing and Time Management competencies ; the ability to prioritize tasks according to importance and time sensitivity
- Research, Analysis and Analytical Thinking ( e.g. evaluation of performance data to use appropriately to develop diets under the supervision of the nutritionists);
- Strong mathematical and logical reasoning skills, an innovative thinker and a problem solver;
- Ability to build resource materials independently (e.g. creating an auditing system sales interactions to be tracked, searched and monitored as required )
- Avid for Development and Continual Learning ; looking for conferences and/or professional development opportunities;
- Accountable and Dependable; a willingness to work outside of normal hours when the job requires to meet customer needs;
- Strong ethics and integrity ; using knowledge of CFIA feed regulations to ensure that customer and/or sales requests are legal as well as nutritionally sound;
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills;
- High Energy, Ability to Cope with Stress while maintaining a positive and friendly attitude focussed on internal and external customer service;
- Ability to work effectively in a team;
- Abide by and observe all safety rules and company policies
New-Life Mills, a division of Parrish & Heimbecker, Limited, is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that is reflective of Canadian society. As a result, New-Life Mills is an equal opportunity employer and is in compliance with the Employment Equity Act. We welcome applications from men, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of visible minorities. Accommodations in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.