Grow your career on

Advanced Search

Need a Job? Upgrade Your Driver’s License

By Bonnie Johnson,


Farm Assistant. Service Technician. Equipment Operator. Location Manager. Custom Applicator. Agronomy Sales. Plant Manager. Feedlot Assistant. Dispatcher. Pen Rider. Crop Specialist. Research Technician. Ranch Hand. Feed Yard Manager. Fuel Sales & Delivery. Mechanic. Warehouse Manager.

What do all these jobs have in common?

The demand for commercial drivers. The employers’ hiring for these jobs on want candidates with a truck driver’s/commercial vehicle license.

A commercial driver’s license adds weight to the training and certification section of your resume, plus makes you more marketable to potential employers.

In the United States, that’s usually a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), to operate heavy specialized commercial vehicles like fuel tankers or tractor-trailers. The driver may also obtain special endorsements, such as air brakes, hazmat, or tankers. Canada likewise has several classes of commercial driver’s licenses with endorsements. Achieve these specialized licenses with introductory training, medical exam, knowledge test, and skills test.

If you don’t have a commercial driver’s license, some employers may provide the training. Instead of a requirement, employers may say the license is “preferred” or would be an “asset.” The job posting will typically specify if the employer will provide or pay for training.

No matter the education level, from a high school diploma to a college degree, there are hundreds of jobs on now that prefer candidates with commercial driver’s licenses. Check out truck driver jobs here.

One employer that’s consistently hiring drivers is CHS Inc. They currently have 50 positions posted on View CHS Inc. jobs here.

For details on commercial driver’s licenses and how to get one, contact your local Department of Transportation.