Corteva Agriscience, has an exciting opportunity for a Process Chemist located in Indianapolis, IN. The successful candidate will be responsible for the invention and development of new synthetic chemical processes to support the advancement of new agrochemicals in our Discovery pipeline. The primary objective of this position is to work as part of a multidisciplinary team that may include analytical, discovery, formulation, biology & regulatory scientists, chemical engineers and other scientists to develop and optimize scalable synthetic routes to exploit Discovery Phased Molecules. Strong collaboration skills are required to effectively work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Process Chemists aim to improve and optimize synthetic routes, cost of manufacture estimates, reaction chemistry safety profile, Process Mass Intensity (PMI) and sustainability. They also work with research scientists to develop new ideas and scientific discoveries, which can be used in the manufacture of new products and existing products and should have an aptitude for laboratory bench scale experimentations and kilo lab scale-up work.
The job role will also include the following:
- Conceive and develop novel synthetic routes to target product molecules.
- Define optimal, low-cost reaction conditions for synthetic steps.
- Manage and contribute to the synthesis of gram to kilogram quantities of experimental products for the support of other Corteva AgriscienceTM R&D functions.
- Lead development of technology strategy with organizational leaders
- Lead projects and programs on multi-functional teams for organization
- Lead development of project intellectual property strategies for projects
- Lead development of new project concepts with business teams
- Promote effective utilization of the groups new experimental facilities.
- Initiate and promote collaborations with other Corteva AgriscienceTM groups engaged in process and related research.
- Complete identified and agreed upon Project and Team goals
- Effectively communicate with business partners from all regions of the company, from multiple disciplines and multiple business segments.
- Mentor all personnel, both experienced and new, on Organic chemistry and process development principles to elevate both their capabilities as well as the group capabilities.
Critical Success Factors:
- Technical Competence: Must be able to generate and analyze data to independently solve organic synthesis problems. Must be able to generate and work with cross discipline capabilities for implementation of new routes and processes.
- Innovation: The objective of the job is to develop new or improved routes and/or processes. The individual must be able to problem-solve by generating novel ideas and by creatively applying exiting technology
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: All projects are conducted in a team-based environment. Success is achieved through the effective leveraging of cross-functional resources. The individual must interact well with others and be able to build and sustain effective relationships
- Initiative: The person must be able to work independently to achieve results. Assistance will be provided in defining and prioritizing goals; however, the individual must show initiative in planning and working to meet the defined objectives.
- Teamwork: All projects are managed by teams of varying size. Cooperating and contributing to meet team objectives is critical.
Ph. D. in Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, or similar. Post-doctoral process research & development experience preferred, but optional.
Strong synthetic chemistry background is required
Experience in HPLC, GC, LC/MS, GC/MS, NMR, purification techniques is required
A proven track record of solving complex synthetic challenges would be an advantage
Strong written and oral communication skills and an attention to detail
Possess excellent interpersonal skills and effectively interact with key stakeholders and peers
Accept responsibility and take ownership of projects
Maintain flexibility to accommodate urgent projects
Possess technical proficiency in using scientific methodology to solve complex problems with high impact
Constantly focus on new ways to achieve innovative solutions