Corteva Agriscience, the agriculture division of DowDupont, is the only major agriscience company completely dedicated to agriculture. We have a strong history of bringing the brightest minds and expertise together to drive innovative research and deliver market shaping products.
The Input Trait Discovery group, located in Johnston, IA, has an exciting opportunity for a Mass Spectrometry & Proteomics Lead, to develop and apply analytical mass-spectrometry & proteomics methodologies towards identifying unique protein targets to support our discovery pipeline for insecticidal actives.
As part of the group, you will be a key research contributor, play a critical role and be embedded in cross-functional teams for the implementation and development of mass spectrometry-based assays critical to our protein discovery efforts. Your scientific expertise and knowledge will be relied upon to provide strategy and solutions towards solving complex protein identification challenges.
This role presents a great opportunity to be a player-coach, supervising employees while demonstrating hands-on experience in protein identification and protein quantification by LC/MSMS, nano-LC/MSMS and computational proteomics analysis.
- Provide mass-spectrometry and proteomics support to various research projects within the Input Traits Discovery group with emphasis on protein identification and protein quantification.
- Work with other members of the group to establish analytical tools and assays appropriate for each research project, monitor research progress, identify and resolve scientific/technical challenges impacting projects in a timely manner.
- Provide management, scientific leadership and creativity when initiating, designing, and executing assay development across a wide range of projects.
- Serve as a subject matter expert with current knowledge of the field and make recommendations on new analytical techniques and state-of-the art instrumentations that could positively impact the discovery pipeline
- Operate and maintain the mass spectrometry laboratory and associated instrumentation. Coordinate with instrument service engineers for scheduled maintenance and timely repairs.
- Maintain and expand internal protein databases which are used to assist protein purification and identification.
- Recruit, orient and supervise RAs/SRAs, and evaluate employees performance.
- Ph.D. in analytical chemistry, biochemistry or related scientific fields with a minimum of 8-10 years of industry or equivalent professional experience.
- Ability to operate independently with different mass spectrometers including Orbitrap and Q-Trap/triple quadrupole instruments.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and integrate new technologies into his/her research program. A proven track record of creative scientific accomplishment as evidenced by a strong publication and/or patent record.
- Experience in various proteomics related computational methods, sequence databases, software and analysis is required.
- Knowledge of modern analytic technologies related for separation and identification of peptides, proteins and small molecules, using mass spectrometry and chromatography.
- Knowledge and experience in assembly, annotation and functional analysis of transcriptome and genomics data is desired.
- Experience with MRM-based quantitative analysis for both peptides and small molecules, GC/MS and MALDI MS analysis is a plus.
- Ability in management of analytical data and integration into laboratory information management systems.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present research to audiences at a variety of levels.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment to develop assays for a wide variety of projects and to interact with multiple project leaders to enhance program productivity.
- Significant managerial experiences in leading a group of scientists and associates in an industrial setting will be a plus.
- The primary analytical technology is nanoLC/MS/MS and LC-MS/MS using Orbitrap and Q-Trap instruments. Extensive demonstrable hands-on experience with protein identification and quantification using nanoLC/MS/MS is required.