The Principal Project Engineer is a member of the Cargill Starches, Sweeteners and Texturizers (CSST) Regional Build and Engineering Organization and will work across facilities within North America to engineer and design safe, regulatory compliant and competitive Build (Capital) projects that are operationally efficient, reliable and operate right the first time. This role is responsible for leading the conceptual, basic and detailed engineering design over the lifetime of a project.
Responsible for leading the technical engineering and design of highly complex Build (Capital) projects including, but not limited to the following:
- Direction of external engineering firms
- Incorporation of all external and internal design standards and requirement.
- Integrate input and best practices as well as lessons learned from all disciplines into the engineering design.
- Partner with the Instrumentation Process Control and Automation lead in the development and completion of engineering deliverables.
- Development of the engineering schedule and engineering cost estimate including Material Take Offs for the project in alignment with the overall project schedule.
- Tracking engineering progress against budgeted estimates.
This position may be located at a CSST location with preference of Eddyville, IA. Alternately, Blair, NE and Cedar Rapids, IA will also be considered.
Relocation assistance and/or hiring incentives may be available for this position in the discretion of the Company.
60% Technical (Engineering) Design Leadership:
- Development of Engineering strategy in coordination with Build (Capital) Project Manager and External Engineering service providers.
- Develop and consolidate the engineering deliverables (discipline) and the conceptual, basic and detailed design package in alignment with the project delivery process.
- Ensure projects are are designed in compliance with regional and country industry codes and local laws and regulations. Ensure projects are designed in conformance with Cargill's Corporate, Manufacturing Technology & Regional Engineering standards.
- Oversee engineering activities and quality in the different discipline prior to construction phase.
- Partner with Manufacturing Technology to ensure that the engineering design incorporates Manufacturing Technology specific needs into the detailed design of the facility.
- During construction act as resource to the construction team to apply all required corrective actions in the engineering field.
25% Engineering Planning and Control:
- Manage and direct the external engineering firm that is working on the project.
- Develop the Engineering Services Scope of work and bid package to support project objectives. Participate in evaluation of engineering firms with the Build (Capital) Project Manager to select the "best fit" engineering firm for the project.
- Support the development of the engineering estimate and track engineering progress against estimate.
- Partner with Engineering firm, Build Project Manager, Project Controls Lead, Construction Lead and Sourcing to develop engineering package work breakdown structure and approach to align with Project Contracting strategy, permitting and construction needs.
10% People Leadership
- Direct the activities for Area Engineers that are supporting the development of the engineering design of the project.
- Coach and mentor less experienced engineers to ensure continued technical and professional growth.
5% Continuous Improvement of Engineering Function
- Identify, document and communicate lessons learned in this field to the appropriate functions.
- Work with regional and global leadership to identify enhancements to engineering work processes.