Packaging Engineers design packaging materials for food, animal health care, and other agricultural products such as chemicals, pesticides, and seed.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Utilize computer and mechanical design tools to create packaging products
- Evaluate current packaging and create cost improvement strategies for both existing and new package designs
- Review preliminary production samples, and provide feedback to vendors on improvements
- Communicate and coordinate with internal creative graphic designers, industrial designers, product engineers, global and regional marketing stakeholders, creative agencies and vendors
- Knowledge of packaging and shipping test methods to assure packaging performance meets shipping stresses
- Leverage fundamental engineering, math, computer skills in the development of practical solutions to technical problems
- Execute packaging experiments and plant trials
- Be knowledgeable of packaging equipment/machinery capabilities and actively participates in equipment selection process and evaluation
- Write packaging and/or raw material portion of new or revises existing finished product specifications
- Knowledge of food packaging principles, food industry quality and food safety requirements, ingredient performance and interactions with equipment, statistical process control, critical control points and new product scale up dynamics
- Inspect packages to determine if packaging meets customer specifications
- Ensure that finished product quality, food safety, and overall sanitation procedures and practices are meeting specification or standards
- Find ways to improve efficiency in the packaging process
What education and training is required?
A bachelor’s degree in packing science, engineering, logistics, or food science is required for a job as a packaging engineer.
To pursue a career as packaging engineer:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, physics, computer courses, biology and mathematics.
Where can I work?
Food, chemical, and seed production companies hire packaging engineers to design packaging for their products.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The future outlook for a packaging supervisor will be great over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- Flexible Packaging Association
- Institute of Packaging Professionals
- National Food Processors Association