Biostatisticians use mathematics and statistics to find ways to solve scientific problems. They assist in developing statistical techniques and use their expertise to design studies and analyze data. Biostatisticians may work with the environment, human or animal health.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Help formulate scientific questions
- Design and conduct clinical studies
- Implement and review trials and studies
- Determine statistical sampling techniques
- Coordinate data collection procedures
- Review case reports and forms to ensure protocol objectives are met and that project standards are maintained
- Conduct retrospective database analysis in order to determine effectiveness of past treatments
- Write reports explaining the results of studies conducted
- Determine if scientific questions can be answered with data available or if new research should be conducted
- Write grant proposals
- Determine factors in a problem and how much risk would be involved in possible solutions
- Use quantitative methods to analyze data from studies
- Determine best ways to deploy resources when a problem arises
- Develop new study methods, designs and procedures
What education and training is required?
A master’s degree or doctorate in statistics, biostatistics, mathematics or statistical genetics.
To pursue a career as a biostatistician:
- The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, math, biology, chemistry, anatomy
Where can I work?
Animal pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, academic research and teaching, research related groups or companies.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The future outlook for a biostatistician will be excellent over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- America Association of Laboratory Animal Practitioners
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
- American Institute of Biological Sciences
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Current Job Openings
No current listings at this time, Click Here to search for other openings