Current Job Openings:
No current listings at this time, Click Here to search for other openings
Biorefining specialists work to convert biomass into fuels, power and chemicals to create more sustainable solutions to fuel our planet.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Keep track of dried distillers grains, ethanol, corn oil, wet cake feed and distiller’s syrup into trucks and rail cars bring brought in and out of plant
- Responsible for the operation of all plant processing equipment and performing routine maintenance in a highly automated chemical facility
- Oversee maintenance and cleaning of all equipment associated with the biorefining processes
- Maintain knowledge of the process flow, computerized equipment
- Maintain plant Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) guidelines
- Be aware of hazards associated with biorefining and ensure employees are properly trained in safety techniques and procedures
- Develop and execute efficient operating procedures
- Ensure quality of product being produced
- Identify needs to maintain production levels
- Meet with plant engineers regularly to ensure plant processing equipment is running properly and to look for ways to improve production
- Understand and execute standard operating procedures and is expected to ensure proper response during normal and abnormal operating situations
- Most biorefining plants operate 24 hours, 7 days a week; must be willing to work unexpected days or hours as problems arise
- Collect data for production reports
What education and training is required?
A bachelor’s degree in chemical or electrical engineering is required.
To pursue a career as a biorefining specialist:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, computer courses, mathematics and chemistry.
Where can I work?
Biorefining Managers are employed by ethanol and other alternative energy companies.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The future outlook for a biorefining manager will be great over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- American Coalition for Ethanol
- Renewable Fuels Association
- National Biodiesel Board