Biorefining specialists work to convert biomass into fuels, power and chemicals to create more sustainable solutions to fuel our planet.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Keep track of dried distillers grains, ethanol, corn oil, wet cake feed and distiller’s syrup into trucks and rail cars bring brought in and out of plant
- Responsible for the operation of all plant processing equipment and performing routine maintenance in a highly automated chemical facility
- Oversee maintenance and cleaning of all equipment associated with the biorefining processes
- Maintain knowledge of the process flow, computerized equipment
- Maintain plant Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) guidelines
- Be aware of hazards associated with biorefining and ensure employees are properly trained in safety techniques and procedures
- Develop and execute efficient operating procedures
- Ensure quality of product being produced
- Identify needs to maintain production levels
- Meet with plant engineers regularly to ensure plant processing equipment is running properly and to look for ways to improve production
- Understand and execute standard operating procedures and is expected to ensure proper response during normal and abnormal operating situations
- Most biorefining plants operate 24 hours, 7 days a week; must be willing to work unexpected days or hours as problems arise
- Collect data for production reports
What education and training is required?
A bachelor’s degree in chemical or electrical engineering is required.
To pursue a career as a biorefining specialist:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, computer courses, mathematics and chemistry.
Where can I work?
Biorefining Managers are employed by ethanol and other alternative energy companies.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The future outlook for a biorefining manager will be great over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- American Coalition for Ethanol
- Renewable Fuels Association
- National Biodiesel Board
Current Job Openings
No current listings at this time, Click Here to search for other openings