An administrative assistant may also be called a secretary, clerk, or receptionist. This person is responsible for organizational and clerical tasks, often for multiple people.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Answer telephone, take messages, and greet and announce visitors
- Assist with processing payroll for employees and temporary employees
- Perform general clerical tasks including typing, filing, and mail distribution
- Compile and update records through data entry; prepares various plant reports
- Record and verify information concerning matters such as shipments, schedules, and time sheets
- Maintain inventory of office supplies for administration and plant use; reorder supplies as needed
- Compile and analyze basic information for inclusion in reports or presentation materials, prepare charts, graphs, or tables as necessary
- May assist in budget preparation and in the preparation and control of records, statistics, and reports regarding operations, personnel changes, etc.
- Compose letters and memoranda; route or answer routine correspondence not requiring supervisor's attention
- Coordinates meetings, conferences, teleconferences and video conferences including reserving facilities, equipment and catering
- Organize travel schedules and arrange airline, hotel and car reservations
- Arrange accommodations and ground transportation for company and outside visitors
- Coordinate mail, shipping/receiving
- Manage multiple Outlook calendars and contacts simultaneously
- Prepare and process expense reports
What education and training is required?
High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Associates degree in business or similar field is preferred, or several years of work experience in an administrative capacity. Strong computer and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint) skills.
To pursue a career as an Administrative Assistant:
- The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, graphic design, mathematics, business and computer courses.
Where can I work?
Almost any company or organization regardless of size will have someone who serves in an administrative assistant. Depending upon the place of employment you could support one person or you could assist the entire organization.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The future outlook for an administrative assistant will be great over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- Chamber of Commerce
- The Association of Executive and Administrative Professionals
- The American Society of Administrative Professionals