At Bayer we're visionaries, driven to solve the world's toughest challenges and striving for a world where ,Health for all, Hunger for none' is no longer a dream, but a real possibility. We're doing it with energy, curiosity and sheer dedication, always learning from unique perspectives of those around us, expanding our thinking, growing our capabilities and redefining 'impossible'. There are so many reasons to join us. If you're hungry to build a varied and meaningful career in a community of brilliant and diverse minds to make a real difference, there's only one choice.
Health, Safety, and Environment Manager
YOUR TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibilities of this role, Health, Safety, and Environment Manager, are to:
- Maintain License to Operate for the site including environmental permits; submit annual reports to regulatory agencies as required;
- Design, implement, and manage all health, safety, and environmental programs and policies to minimize safety risks and occupational hazards associated with work practices;
- Analyze, evaluate, and manage the site’s health, safety, and environmental programs, policies, systems, and practices to ensure they meet internal requirements and local, state, and federal regulatory requirements. Includes threat response, pandemic planning, etc.;
- Manage and direct HSE and Lab Services team: Provide effective leadership including individual goal setting/performance reviews, managing the development of employees, recognizing and appreciating employee contributions, mitigating conflict and communication problems, planning, and facilitating team activities;
- Oversee or take part in the HSE aspects of various capital projects and continuous improvement activities related to facilities, equipment, and machinery to identify and correct potential hazards, mitigate risks, and ensure compliance with applicable regulations;
- Assess training needs related to safety and occupational health and ensure all employees receive the necessary training to perform work in a safe and legal manner.
- Coordinates and/or administers training;
- Ensure that BLX employees are aware of their environmental, health, and safety responsibilities;
- Serve as the single point of contact for internal audits (including HSE Management Systems, Biosafety and PPS) and external HSE audits with local, state, and federal agencies. Ensure audit findings are thoroughly mitigated to prevent reoccurrence;
- Complete root cause analyses and develop corrective action plans to address root causes and management system vulnerabilities through the use of industry-recognized root cause analysis techniques;
- Lead safety reviews and provide periodic update of site safety performance to site leadership and employees via Executive Safety Meeting and Town Halls;
- Build effective relationships and partnerships within and across the organization while leading relationships with external stakeholders e.g., HSE regulatory agencies;
- Challenge status quo thinking and assumptions, while providing fresh perspectives and innovative ideas to achieve site safety objectives and West Sacramento Site Services Strategic Plan;
- Perform other duties as assigned that support the overall goal of the position.
WHO YOU ARE
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of our LIFE values. More specifically related to this position, Bayer seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety or related field of engineering, science or other technical discipline;
- Seven years of experience in safety, engineering, or science discipline with five years of direct experience managing HSE programs;
- Thorough knowledge of OSHA and general working knowledge of EPA regulations;
- Ability to coach and mentor other members of the HSE organization;
- Strong presentation, training, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to create a results driven, team oriented environment;
- Ability to build effective relationships and partnerships within and across the organization as well as with external regulatory agencies and stakeholders;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written with all levels of the organization.
- Certified Safety Professional;
- Four years of experience with the California based HSE systems, permitting and processes.
Relocation may be offered for this role.
You are applying for a position in Bayer’s Biologics business. Bayer intends to divest this business to Ginkgo Bioworks Holdings Inc. in 2022. Ginkgo Bioworks Holdings Inc. will to take over the Bayer biologics research and development site in West Sacramento. Ginkgo will develop products for Bayer, which will market and distribute products developed at the West Sacramento lab.
Bayer offers a wide variety of competitive compensation and benefits programs. If you meet the requirements of this unique opportunity, and want to impact our mission Science for a better life, we encourage you to apply now. Be part of something bigger. Be you. Be Bayer.
To all recruitment agencies: Bayer does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.
Bayer is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veterans
Bayer is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations in its application process for individuals with disabilities and encourages applicants with disabilities to request any needed accommodation(s) using the contact information below.
| || |
| || |
|IMPORTANT NOTE for POTENTIAL US CANDIDATES: Bayer expects its employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Bayer active employees are also expected to disclose their vaccination status and if fully vaccinated, provide proof of vaccination status to Occupational Medicine. Bayer defines fully vaccinated in alignment with CDC which is two weeks after completing the two-dose vaccine regimen or two weeks after completing the one-dose regimen. Additionally, Bayer employees are also required to comply with state, local and customer requirements. || |
| || |
| || |
|Location: ||West Sacramento || |
|Division: ||Crop Science || |
|Reference Code: ||650441 || || |
|Contact Us |
| || |
|Email: ||firstname.lastname@example.org |