Through leading innovations, we help farmers around the world meet the challenge of feeding a growing population and taking care of our planet. We are currently seeking a Technology Evaluation and Optimization Lead for the Molecular Applications Group to be based in Durham, NC.
The purpose of this position is to lead the efforts to scout, monitor, evaluate, recommend and help implement genomics/genotyping/molecular technology solutions to accelerate discovery and development of important agronomic traits and breeding. The scope includes non-computational genotyping and genomics technology evaluation, optimization and support to research activities including genotyping, genomics, sequencing, trait dissection, etc. This position is expected to fully understand the scientific, technical and competitive landscapes to make thoughtful recommendations to deploy genomics/molecular technologies that can contribute to achieve Seeds business goals
- Engage with functional leads, project and program leads and the scientific community to identify gaps and opportunities that can be matched with novel genomics/molecular technologies
- Establish key internal and external networks to survey proactively the emerging scientific and technological landscape
- Explore, scout and map the trends from academia, industry, start-up, and third-parties around various emerging genomics and genotyping platforms. Build an understanding of the external technology solutions and identify short lists of potential partners/providers that can address current gaps
- Interact with members of the genotyping community to collect and prioritize needs for technology optimization.
- Lead a team of scientists that work closely with cross-functional teams to test/pilot emerging technology solutions that can improve organizational performance
- Propose, plan, promote discussion, gather feedback on new projects and experiments
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to drive and execute projects to develop and optimize protocols and methods.
- Promote good practices, standardization and alignment in the deployment of technology across seeds research
- Ability to communicate across the organization at all levels, from individual contributors to leadership level.
- Ph.D. in Biology, Agronomy, Plant Biology, Plant Physiology, Plant Genetics, Plant Biotechnology or related field
- 10+ years of experience overseeing research activities in discovery or development of traits of agronomic interest and/or crop breeding
- Advanced knowledge of modern genomics and genotyping methodologies and awareness of computational and analytical tools in molecular biology, genomics, genetics, and biotechnology required
- Strong scientific background, analytical mindset with outstanding communication skills, project management, process-facilitation, organizational and operational skills.
- Proven experience conducting technology analysis and determining fit to business needs.
- Demonstrated ability to lead the execution of technology assessment efforts, including analysis of alternatives, characterization and quantification of performance, and comprehension and development of requirements based on strategic needs
- Ability to express new technology in terms of business/market value propositions
Critical Technical, Professional and Personal Capabilities
- Ability to use MS Office, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and other standard software.
- Works under general direction, but must be comfortable with ambiguity and takes the initiative to determine and develop approaches to solutions
- Ability to work well in a team and to communicate with individuals throughout the organization and across the businesses.
Critical leadership capabilities
- Set Direction
- Sets ambitious strategic goals
- Communicates inspirationally
- Create Edge
- Steps beyond comfort zones
- Fosters a culture of creativity and innovation
- Drive Results
- Focuses energy on must-wins
- Manages performance to high standard
- Liberate Potential
- Develop self and others
- Recognizes and celebrates success
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges
- Must be able to listen to the customer, be personable, and accommodating.
- Ability to see beyond current technology bottlenecks and help to provide a paradigm shift in applications related specifically to genomics/genotyping data production.
- Prioritizing and accomplishing deadline driven project timelines.
- Strong curiosity, creativity, and futuristic thinking about business possibilities. Ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Strong ability to interface effectively internally and externally with cross-functional groups to define and execute overall requirements.
- Good project management skills.
- Full Benefit Package (Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts the same day you do
- 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Open Vacation Policy with a minimum of 15 days of vacation and up to 30 days with manager approval, 9 Paid Holidays
- Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity, and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 30,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity's most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. No matter what your position, you will have a vital role in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.
Follow Company Alert×
Follow Company Alert Saved
Follow Company Alert