Scoular is an employee-owned $6B agribusiness leading the way since 1892. We buy, sell, store, handle and process grain and ingredients by leveraging our global networks and expertise in international trade and transportation. Employing more than 1,000 people in over 100 offices and facilities in North America and Asia, we provide safe and reliable solutions to farmers, grain processors, renewable energy producers, and manufacturers of animal feed, aquafeed, pet food, and food, beverage, and supplements. Our deep involvement in the global agricultural supply chain gives us the ability to quickly assess market needs and identify opportunities for growth and innovation.
The Trade Unit Manager manages all aspects of the defined trade unit and is responsible for the business outcomes and profitability of the trade unit. The Trade Unit Manager leads the day to day execution of the strategy for the trade unit, product group(s) and leads a team of merchandisers and execution specialists to perform at a high level. The trade unit manager is on the front line with the external market place using trade and execution acumen and global supply and demand information to create and keep revenue within Scoular's risk parameters. The Trade Unit Manager must be able to read and react to market changes in real time, optimize capacity and connect execution with the position and credit limits provided to them. This role has responsibility over business development, interpretation of global markets, communicating market opinions, execution of a complex supply chain and forming long term strategic direction. Additionally, this position is responsible for the growth and development of team members in the trade unit as well as promoting collaboration across trade units and product groups within the broader enterprise.
Trading & Execution:
- P&L and cash management within trade unit including weekly/monthly reporting. Responsible for having an accurate P&L.
- Risk management within assigned risk limits, in alignment with Product Group Managers, General Managers and Chief Risk Officer for trade positions within their trade unit.
- Develop, support and execute a stakeholder plan to support, service, and connect with strategic and targeted customers at appropriate levels.
- Provide execution leadership to functional team (Logistics, Documentation Team, Merchandiser Assistants). Understand team's capacity and trade/execute within that.
- Lead and support team by coaching, giving feedback and meeting with direct reports on reoccurring basis as well as quarterly check-ins on performance and goal achievement.
- Drive empowered decision making deep in the organization with clear accountability.
- Engage and inspire teams through inclusive leadership, making Scoular a great place to work.
- Drive high performance and individual growth and development amongst team members.
- Drive collaboration and sharing best practices across the trade unit to support new ideas.
Business Planning & Growth:
- Plan and implement new strategies to improve the efficiency and profitability of the trade unit and larger business unit.
- Accountable to forecasting & budgeting with accuracy and timeliness. Ability to explain and articulate variances.
- Knowledgeable and aware of upcoming market trends, anticipate the impact and continuously monitoring competitive landscape.
Organizational Leadership & Effectiveness:
- Represent The Scoular Company with participation in industry associations.
- Identify and lead collaboration opportunities between businesses within the division and across divisions.
- Leadership and alignment of functional partners supporting the trade unit towards achievement of a common set of goals.
- Lead a culture that drives demonstrated behaviors that are aligned with the company’s values.
In performing their responsibilities, employees are expected to perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision, interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers, work effectively as a team contributor and independently while understanding the necessity for communication with other employees and throughout Scoular.
The Scoular Company is an equal opportunity employer.
- College degree in business related field or equivalent and relevant experience
- Minimum 5 years of Agri-business and/or merchandising experience
- Demonstrated understanding of grain markets, hedging and commodity flows and knowledge of the agricultural industry’s trading standards and procedures.
- Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills and relationship building capability.
- Demonstrated aptitude in accounting and financial practices and procedures.
- Highly skilled in problem solving techniques.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with strong business acumen and ability to drive forward and execute strategy.
- Demonstrated agility to navigate dynamic and everchanging environment.
- Proven ability to perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed
- Active involvement in industry agriculture association groups.
- Demonstrated knowledge of agricultural macro economics.
- Direct people leadership experience and strong people management skills with proven ability to develop high performing teams.
- International sales/merchandising experience
Physical environment/working conditions:
- Scoular is a Drug-Free Workplace (for more information See the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 or your location’s Federal Workplace Poster)
- Scoular is an at-will employer. Employment is considered voluntary for employees and employers.
- This is a full-time job that may require occasional overtime.
Equipment and/or technology used:
- Must have the ability to operate a standard office telephone, use a keyboard, view and read computer screens, and run other office equipment.
- Must have excellent PC skills; knowledge of Digital, MS O365, Mobile, SharePoint, is preferred.