Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officers (CEO’s) work to achieve corporate objectives and effectively manage a company or a group of companies. The key responsibility of a CEO is for the direction of the company with the objective of attaining overall profitability and growth.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the company or organization’s business units, vision, mission and overall strategy
- Ensure agreed strategies are implemented and compliance with regulatory authorities is maintained
- Establish short- and long-term goals for the organization, and advise on the impact of long-range planning and new business ventures
- Participate in the development of the company or organization’s plans and programs as a strategic partner
- Enhance or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization that will in turn improve its overall operation and effectiveness
- Maintain awareness of the competitive landscapes, opportunities for expansion, customers, markets, and new industry developments and standards
- Provide leadership to staff and educate them on business objectives to enhance employee performance
- Hire, evaluate and provide professional development opportunities for the company’s senior management team
- Monitor the needs of company partners, board of directors and stakeholders
- Remain abreast of industry trends or changes
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the company or organization
- Provide patrons to the company or organization with effective service
What education and training is required?
You may be flexible on what type of degree you have depending on the type of industry you are working for, but generally, a bachelor’s or master’s degree is required. To become a CEO in the agricultural industry, you must also have proven your ability through a generally accepted minimum of five years of related industry experience and have a strong background in leadership.
To pursue a career as a Chief Executive Officer:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, accounting, business courses, economics, government, and computer courses.
Where can I work?
CEOs can work for any small to large company or organization within the agricultural industry.
Future Job Market / Outlook
The future outlook for a CEO will be good over the next five years.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations
- Agriculture Council of America
- National Agri-Marketing Association
- Women in Agribusiness
- American Farm Bureau Federation