Do you have a deep understanding of seed technology including knowledge of regional cropping trends, markets and crop economics? Do you have experience growing sales and profitability for seed businesses? Do you enjoy collaborating both internally with a cross-functional team and externally with suppliers? If you said yes to these questions and you have a proven sales team leadership ability, we want to hear from you!
For nearly a century, Wilbur-Ellis has experienced success and growth in marketing and distributing agricultural products and services. Join us and grow your career with a strong and profitable industry leader offering competitive compensation, tremendous growth and development opportunities, and a people-first work environment. Come grow with us!
General Purpose and Scope of Position:
The Regional Seed Manager's primary role is to grow the seed technology business within the Upper Midwest, Northern Plains, and South Dakota regions through leadership and coordination of Seed Technology Specialists (STS) and Branch personnel by helping develop personnel, seed technology products, and services.
This role also represents the assigned region by serving as a member of the Seed Technology Team. Through working closely with the National Director - Seed Technology and with key suppliers, the Regional Seed Manager will provide leading seed varieties for the Regional sales teams to position and sell to customers.
Key Skill and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field and experience in the seed industry required (Combination of education and experience may be substituted in lieu of degree)
- Strong and visible leadership - Ability to quickly establish credibility and utilize strategic thinking to shape the team and execute the plan within the functional organization as well as in partnership with cross-functional stakeholders.
- Impact and influence — Ability to influence, develop and maintain effective internal/external relationships to facilitate change, with and without authority, and ensure cohesion across the organization. Able to promote and secure buy in from a cross-functional leadership team and peer groups within the organization.
- Interpersonal effectiveness — Is sensitive to different points of view and seeks to understand and resolve conflicts/issues in a constructive manner. Able to operate effectively and comfortably with different cultures, in strange and challenging situations and to direct and instruct in a respectful and polite manner.
- Knowledge, ability, proficiency in:
- Extensive knowledge of seed technology including knowledge of regional cropping trends, markets and crop economics
- Deep level of industry knowledge and regional seed businesses
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including ability to manage communication with and presenting information to all levels of the regions and all key stakeholders
- Serving as a regional liaison and negotiating competitive positions with seed suppliers and vendors in support of national seed technology strategy
- Fostering teamwork to achieve goals aligned regionally and nationally including maintaining and directing seed supplier strategy and coordination of local supplier opportunities within the region
- Ensuring business processes associated with seed technology are adopted and followed
Key Personal Attributes:
- Aligns to company core values Integrity, Diversity, Effort, Accountability and Service
- Leads by example. Embodies servant leadership (values diverse opinions; cultivates a culture of trust; develops other leaders; helps people; encourages; sells instead of tells; thinks you, not me; thinks long-term; acts with humility)
- Strategic approach coupled with the ability to analyze data, metrics and programs
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects with strong organizational and time management skills
- Solid and trusted relationships among peers and industry contacts
- Strong track record in inventory management
- Proven track record in current and previous roles
Specific Responsibilities and Key Deliverables include:
- Team leader, delegator and developer — Managing the region's STS teams including performance management, salary recommendations, goals and objectives and day to day direction and support
- Inspires and motivates sales staff to sell seed technology services and products
- Attract, develop and retain talent (i.e. plans for staffing, succession, career paths)
- Promote and drive an employee engagement plan with an aligned, focused culture, through clear performance targets, regular one-on-ones focused on culture, mindset, stakeholder alignment and conflict resolution
- Seed business developer - Coordinating seed treatment sales as well as identifying potential growth opportunities for the regions
- Communicating with Regional management regarding the initiatives, objectives, strategies, and action plans as reviewed by Seed Technology Team
- Ensuring accountability for selecting, forecasting, promoting, training and related activities required to grow the seed business in the region
- Providing overall coordination of the Seed Technology business in the region
- Assisting and participating in sales calls with sales people where required
- Expanding and refining the existing seed business plan for the regions
- Supplier relationship manager - Serves as the point person for seed technology supplier relations in the Regions by facilitating communication, coordination and support for preferred suppliers
- Working with purchasing and supplier relations personnel to identify and communicate net profitability for all seed technology products including program administration and rebate allocation
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive annual salary (to be determined based on experience and other factors)
- Comprehensive employee health and retirement benefit offerings
Job Code: REGIO03248