LOCATION: Willamette Valley / Independence OR 97351
Universal Seed LLC in Independence, OR is an independent, growing, and innovative specialized agricultural company that provides a service to its worldwide customer base by producing high quality hybrid vegetable seeds.
Currently we have an opportunity for a motivated Field Representative/Manager to join our professional team.
The Field Representative/Manager is responsible for contracting and supervising the production of vegetable seed crops to meet planned volume and seed quality specifications. The Field Representative/Manager carries out supervisory responsibilities of employees and contract growers in accordance with company policies.
- Contracting seed crops with growers.
- Advising growers on proper agronomic practices for seed production.
- Soil sample fields.
- Manage field trials, plant physiology and irrigation practices by growers.
- Scout grower fields for weed, insects, disease, and nutrition issues.
- Ensure that application of seeding, fertility and pesticide occurs when weather conditions are optimal.
- Gather, compile, analyze and interpret test results and prepare progress reports.
- Training growers and employees.
- Maintaining good grower relations.
- Maintaining strict quality standards in crop production.
- Crop program planning and implementation.
- Management of employees.
- Contribute to the efficient running of the business from an operational and production aspect.
- For all crops assigned, plan, supervise, manage, and monitor contracted acreage in your designated area within the Willamette Valley.
- Supervise crop management (planting, disease control, roguing, harvest).
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting any changes or issues with the different production sites.
- Maintain records on each crop and provide weekly crop status updates to Management.
- Select and contract growers and recommend grower contract prices.
- Maintain knowledge of field history to prevent contamination due to volunteers of like species or loss due to residual chemical carryover.
- Supervise planting of stock seed for trueness to type, accuracy of planting rate, depth and securing of all leftover stock.
- Supervise field operations/crews: (trans)planting, flailing, training, roguing, etc.
- Coordinate and supervise roguing activities.
- Update crop estimates and delivery dates on a regular basis.
- Schedule and monitor all harvest activities to maintain quality adherence and timely delivery of seed to meet customer ship dates.
- Resolve grower and/or customer issues.
- Develop, monitor, and document the results of new varieties each year.
- Evaluate new equipment, chemicals, and/or practices that may apply to future production.
- Assist in writing revisions to production manuals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Science.
- Solid experience in production agriculture/seed production.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
- Sound computer skills in Microsoft Office programs.
- Good self-management skills, motivated and focused.
- Positive attitude with an ability to learn and adapt to new situations.
- Good people skills and an ability to work within a team environment.
- Consultant’s license.
Competitive salary and benefits package including medical, life, disability, and retirement plan.