The Wenger Group is looking for a Director of Nutrition Services, which is an integral part of our Nutrition and Quality team. This role is a strategic leadership position assisting the Senior Vice President & Chief Nutrition Officer in establishing a competitive edge to the business and its customers with nutrition advisory and leadership, expanding market presence and technical support. This high-profile role calls for a profound understanding of the animal nutrition segment, the value of nutrition and its needs in large production systems and dynamics of delivery.
Who are we:
The Wenger Group, Inc. is a leading family-owned, professionally managed agricultural products, food and services organization headquartered in Pennsylvania. The Company offers animal nutrition and feeds, specialty protein production, processing and marketing, on-farm protein production services, and ingredient procurement ranging from micro ingredients to grain and fertilizer. The group includes Wenger Feeds, LLC, Nutrify, LLC, Dutchland Farms, LLC, Risser Grain, LLC, and Hoober Feeds. Wenger Feeds is the largest multispecies commercial feed manufacturer in the mid-atlantic region, with over 78 years of production experience across 10 feed mills. Wenger Feeds is well positioned as the credible partner with its customers in sustainable and profitable protein production by way of its commitment to exceptional customer experience through inhouse innovation, research and analytical capabilities and established quality, safety and environment management systems certified by ISO for over 17 years.
What will you do:
Nutrition Advisory & Leadership – 30%
- Be a strategic thinker and lead the successful positioning of Wenger Nutrition Services as the first-choice solution provider with the protein producers by implementing efficient strategies through understanding their business positioning and differentiation in the segment, analyzing current state, future state and gaps in their deliverables, developing custom programs targeting future state and demonstrating delivery of results in a research and commercial environment.
- Develop a deep understanding of key trends and performance indicators, competitive landscape for nutrition services, maintain and update market intelligence, identify opportunities for both current and new products and technologies.
- Be the techno-commercial interface with the protein producers in critically analyzing economic parameters of protein production, elucidate the influence of nutrition, quality and management aspects of protein production, develop and present complex solutions, and justifications on return on investment.
- Exploit the value through effective positioning with customers and prospects of differentiating inhouse resources and capabilities (Poultry Profitability Modeling tool, formulations support, laboratory support, ingredient risk management, innovation and research infrastructure, quality and food safety programs, management systems and certified processes) with customers and prospects in establishing the credibility of expertise and control on the supply and nutrient channel.
- Actively engage with customers through farm visits, training their live production and technical teams on nutrition, participating in their review meetings and assisting in resolving performance issues.
- Constantly scan local and global public and university resources to keep abreast of latest developments and upskill nutrition and nutritional technologies, implement as needed to enhance performance and margins.
- Collaborate with Innovation & Research, Laboratory and Relationship Management teams in developing and testing new programs and concepts for enhanced return on investment through exploratory, applied and field research trials.
- Actively represent TWG at industry events and professional trade associations and bodies, maintain collaborative, in-depth, high-level contacts with key influencers, participate in local and national media with practical, technical and scientific articles to keep up the image and reputation as leaders in animal nutrition.
Expansion of Market Presence – 30%
- Sustain existing customers through building deeper linkages with effective multi-function multi-level relationships, planning, organizing, and facilitating support services including nutrition, formulation, health, livestock management, laboratory, regular business reviews, etc. (WengerWay).
- Collaborate with Relationship Managers in exploring the untapped in the footprint and constructing customer development strategies.
- Actively explore and acquire new customers through proactive approach strategies based on understanding of their production systems, their customers, perceived challenges, developing and presenting custom programs to accomplishing their goals.
- Collaborate with Relationship Managers, Consultant Nutritionists and Veterinarians, tailor make and organize custom nutrition, health and management training programs addressing problems faced by customers.
Technical Support – 30%
- Function as a valuable technical support team player by being extremely perceptive, relate to individuals at all levels, be sensitive to customer (internal/external) needs, corporate goals, team member development, and public image through listening, analyzing and problem solving.
- Assist in investigating and resolving customer non-conformances and complaints related to nutrition programs, rations, feed quality, new technology applications, marketing efforts, etc.
- Provide technical support and training to Relationship Managers and be actively involved in the sales process.
- Participate with research team and provide detailed analysis of trial results in support of key objectives and offering solutions or alternative strategies.
- Collaborate with Formulations and Procurement in delivering enhanced ingredient margins to the organization, best cost and value advantage to customers, developing alternative rations with ingredient substitutions in instances of ingredient outage or shortage, etc.
- Support Procurement with management of ingredient specifications, quality and costs for best-cost formulation, pricing, and sourcing; assist with forecasting ingredient needs and economic projections for the organization and customers.
- In collaboration with procurement, review information from suppliers to ensure product conformance, requirement and regulations and visit suppliers to assess quality assurance practices as needed.
- Assist Marketing and Central Training functions with preparing manuals, technical publications and assist with product development and marketing activities for key industry events. Develop writing, editing, and proofreading scientific documentation for marketing materials to support business promotion.
People and Resource Management – 10%
- Provide strategic leadership, functional development and talent management for team members and in the coordination of hiring, coaching and developing skills that impact customer experience.
- Build and develop an effective, competent, and engaged team focused on nutrition advisory and leadership, expanding market presence and technical support; develop and implement policies, standard operating procedures, and work instructions as part of management system necessary to achieve customer expectations.
- Lead the inhouse Wenger Animal Nutrition Academy (WANA) activities in upskilling the animal nutrition knowledge of team members.
Who are you:
- Ph D (Master's degree acceptable) in animal nutrition or animal sciences specialized in poultry and monogastric species.
- 10 to 15 years hands on experience in developing and delivering large scale, multi-location nutrition services in an integrated or commercial feed setting.
- Proficiency in feed formulation software, live production applications and interfacing with customer service, feed mill and finance applications.
- Ability to relate technical knowledge to solve complex testing and process problems; translate and communicate analytical data and technical knowledge to technical and non-technical stakeholders; applying statistical and quality management tools: such as control charts, histograms, capability studies, etc.
- Ability to lead self-directed initiatives, both independently and as a small team leader
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills with all levels of the organization to address conflicts, resolve upset conditions, influence and facilitate behavioral change.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software
Benefits you will have:
- Medical, Dental, Vision after 30 days of employment
- 401(k) plan with an employer match
- Employee Assistance Program
- Basic Life/AD&D
- Voluntary Life
- Flexible Spending
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Easter Hams
- Thanksgiving Turkeys
- Tuition Reimbursement
- CDL Tuition Reimbursement
- Wenger Scholarship Program
- Uniform and/or Corporate Wear
- Tool and Boot Allowances
- Recognition Awards
- Employee Perks Program
- Training & Development Opportunities
- Celebratory giveaways throughout the year
- Sign on Bonus (eligible positions)
- Employee Referral Bonus (after 90 days of successful employment)
- Each team member has the potential to earn a yearly bonus based on the achievement of company goals.