Scoular is an employee-owned $6B agribusiness leading the way since 1892. We buy, sell, store, handle and process grain and ingredients by leveraging our global networks and expertise in international trade and transportation. Employing more than 1,000 people in over 100 offices and facilities in North America and Asia, we provide safe and reliable solutions to farmers, grain processors, renewable energy producers, and manufacturers of animal feed, aquafeed, pet food, and food, beverage, and supplements. Our deep involvement in the global agricultural supply chain gives us the ability to quickly assess market needs and identify opportunities for growth and innovation.
The Superintendent I will oversee the daily operation of a Scoular facility, ensure the safety of location employees, direct non-exempt laborers, assist with recruitment and training of employees, perform an operational role, and enhance Scoular’s ability to operate and grow our business.
Lead Operational Excellence:
- Partner with the business managers and merchants to coordinate all transportation and maintenance needs for the facility to ensure on-time deliveries.
- Responsible for product quality, quantity and inventories. Responsible for inbound and outbound product flow. Ensure equipment is functional, safe and in good repair.
- Accountable for providing impeccable service to our customers.
- Direct vendors and customers in the daily processes of the property.
- Basic understanding of Merchandising and Accounting. Identify and contribute to revenue-generating ideas and activities to grow the bottom line.
- Responsible for execution of operational and merchandising strategies for the facility and trade unit.
- Drive Employee Safety agenda and improvement.
- Operate the facility(s) in an efficient and safe manner. Partner with Safety Team to ensure the safety of location’s workforce by complying with all Federal, State and Local regulations. Participate in monthly safety meetings, training and perform location inspections.
- Ensure compliance with all environmental requirements.
- Supervise and assist facility staff in daily activity. Responsible for scheduling laborers to meet work demands. Provide assistance with recruitment, training and direction of assigned facility personnel.
- Engage and inspire teams through inclusive leadership, making Scoular a great place to work.
- Identify and participate in collaboration opportunities between businesses within the Division and across Divisions.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Results driven
- Ability to independently solve problems
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Have peripheral vision and corrected vision to 20/20 in both eyes
- Good hearing to hear bells, alarms and telephonic equipment
- Mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge of elevator operations
- Knowledge of blend and mix processes
- 1+ years of supervisory experience
- 0-2 years of experience with recruitment, additional supervisory experience
Physical environment/working conditions:
- Scoular is a Drug-Free Workplace (for more information See the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 or your location’s Federal Workplace Poster)
- Scoular is an at-will employer. Employment is considered voluntary for employees and employers.
- This is a full-time job that will require overtime and flexibility in scheduling needs outside of traditional office hours and over the weekends.
- Conditions can include hot summer temperatures (90 – 120 degrees), cold winter temperatures (below freezing – subzero) and windy conditions (in excess of 40 MPH)
- Work for long periods of time without smoking tobacco.
- Must be able to work in an environment with high levels of grain dust.
- Must be able to bend and reach in normal range of movement.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds several times per day.
- Must be able to remain standing on hard surfaces for long periods of time.
- Must be able to climb ladders of various heights.
- Must be able to work in confined / tight spaces.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical labor at times in excess of two hours.
- Must be able to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (i.e. hardhat, safety glasses, respirators, etc.)
Equipment and/or technology used:
- Ability to operate mechanical and power tools commonly used at a grain elevator facility.
- The ability to operate/use a standard office telephone, keyboard, view and read computer screens, and run other office equipment.
- Knowledge of Digital, MS O365, Mobile, SharePoint, is preferred