An employee-owned company with more than $4 billion in sales, Scoular employs more 1,000 people in over 100 offices and facilities in North and South America, and Asia. For 125 years, feed and food customers have been counting on Scoular people to create safe and reliable supply chain solutions for end-users and suppliers of grain, feed ingredients, and food ingredients around the globe.
The Merchandiser II role is an experienced commodity trading position in the Feed Commodity market. This role has responsibility to interpret global markets, formulate and communicate market opinions, make purchase and sales decisions, oversee execution of a complex supply chain, and help form long term strategic direction in agricultural commodities for the Scoular Company. The Merchandiser II will be able to navigate through all the global transportation, documentation and country requirements/restrictions while initiating new customer and supplier contact. The person in this role is responsible for bringing new business to closure, along with maintaining and growing established customers and suppliers.
- Assure that the trade unit is in compliance with all risk management policies.
- Assess market trends, key leading indicators and is proficient in navigating the market.
- Act on opinions related to market to create revenues, set strategy on trading business, review supply and demand, and make trading decisions.
- Manage a position or subset of the overall position for the business.
- Review product supply and demand and formulate opinions related to the market to make trade decisions that create revenue for the trade unit or product group.
- Expected to have opinion on market every day.
- Weigh in and set strategy for the trading business.
- Manage export sales individually and through extended team while managing risk associated with global and economic events.
- Lead execution logistics planning and strategy, including fundamental knowledge of truck/rail/container execution and commodity arbitrage.
- Manage relationships with service providers such as steam ship lines, rail roads, transload sites, and other relevant parties.
- Negotiate freight contracts to ensure cost-effective and efficient delivery.
- Arbitrage the position for optimal execution and maximized P&L.
- Expected to problem solve in midst of execution and day to day activity.
- Support administrative functions such as contract management, accounting, financial reporting and cash management.
Customer Relationship Building:
- Recruit customers and business that support the business unit's business strategy.
- Develop and maintain the extensive and varied business relationships in the marketplace.
- Provide customers with accurate market information and answers to questions about their business transactions.
- Build effective, on-going interaction with both current and potential customers.
- Act as a front-line negotiator for handling trading conflicts.
- Responsible for customer experience to make sure we deliver an optimal customer experience (supplier, end user, carrier).
- Ongoing focus and development of leadership skills.
- Give direct or indirect daily instruction to team (Merchandiser I, execution team).
- Coach/mentor other Merchandisers on the team and give Merchandiser Assistants daily direction.
- Create/drive collaboration within the division and company.
P&L Management and Planning:
- Manage the P&L for the assigned business.
- Provide monthly P&L results and quarterly forecasts for the managed location.
- Manage daily position report for the trade unit.
- Accountable to maintain position limits, credit limits and in store inventories as defined by division leadership and trade finance.
- Create forecasts to inform the Trade Unit Manager/Product Group Manager.
The Scoular Company is an Equal Opportunity EmployerRequirements
- 2+ years merchandising experience.
- College degree in business related field or equivalent experience.
- Proven critical thinking skills and ability to drive strategy forward.
- Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills and relationship building capability.
- Proven ability to perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated aptitude in accounting and financial practices and procedures.
- Highly skilled in problem solving techniques.
- Demonstrated understanding of grain markets, hedging and commodity flows.
- Knowledge of the agricultural industry's trading standards and procedures.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed.
- Active involvement in industry agriculture association groups.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of agricultural macroeconomics.
- At least 3 years of agricultural industry experience.
- International sales/merchandising experience.