Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanitys most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. No matter what your position, you will have a vital role in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.
At Syngenta, we are working to build the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture that provides leading seeds and crop protection innovations to enhance the prosperity of farmers. We are currently seeking a Floriculture Grower for the North America Flowers Production Team in Alva, FL.
You will enhance the prosperity of farmers by:
- Execute outlined growing procedures and process to deliver quality cuttings that meet customer requirements on a consistent basis.
- Responsible for the growing and crop culture of assigned crops.
- Provide strong hands-on technical skills and knowledge of horticulture crop production to produce the highest quality cuttings.
- Work in collaboration with all teams on site to implement growing protocols and be able to communicate with farm leadership team.
- Responsible for all aspects of growing of assigned crops and NPI grown at Syngenta Alva farm in close cooperation with other growers and production manager.
- Guide and direct the growing process for assigned crops and be able to conduct several trials.
- Responsible for propagation, irrigation, fertilizer, plant growth regulator application, crop maintenance.
- Work with IMP and pathology departments on monitoring and diagnosis of insect and disease in compliance with WPS practices.
- Work with operations team to resolve growing issues and deliver the highest quality products.
- Responsible to program and monitor the environmental control computer as per the crop requirements
- Manage crop nutrients standards and interpret nutrient testing results to solve production problems and optimize growing conditions.
- Update internal growing protocols, procedures, processes and work instructions in collaboration with other team members based on the current production practices. Train and advise your team members on best growing practices, new learnings, and crop maintenance.
- Consistent crop walk with growing team to ensure the stock is grown according to plan and document action items or changes made.
- Proactively monitor and scout the stock for early detection of pests in concert with IPM.
- Responsible for physical integrity of growing equipment and structures.
- Supervise and instruct assigned employee to daily tasks.
- Weekend work will be required and frost patrol depending on weather conditions.
- Ensure all HSES and phytosanitary protocols are implemented, followed, and enforced
- Approximately 95% working outdoors under various weather conditions and 5% office environment.
- Minimum B.S. degree in Horticulture, Agriculture, or related plant science is required.
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience highly preferred.
- Ability to obtain Florida pesticide applicators license
- Knowledge of crop production, and growing cycles,
- Growing experience and technical expertise in floriculture crop production is preferable.
- Capable of solving production problems and implementing new growing ideas that make business sense
- Create and update S&OP for growing process.
- Skills with Microsoft Suite of Office programs Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Access.
- Willing to work with a diverse workforce.
- Experience in working with horticultural crops.
- Labor management and some green house and field growing experience is preferable.
- Supervision and training skills.
- Motivation and drive for continuous crop quality improvement and efficiency
- Capable of working long hours during time-critical periods of the production season.
- Must be authorized to work for Syngenta in the United States without work authorization sponsorship
What We Offer:
- Full Benefit Package Medical, Dental & Vision that starts the same day you do
- 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Paid Vacation, 12 Paid Holidays, Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act FMLA
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's EEOC
Employee Polygraph Protection Act EPPA