At Syngenta, we believe every employee has a role to play in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. We are currently seeking a Field Research Associate to be part of our Trialing Team to be located in Highland, Illinois
The purpose of this role is to lead the management and crop husbandry for on site multi-crop nursery projects. This role coordinates and manages the land allocation process to utilize on farm acres and adjacent leased land. Coordination of fertilizer applications and management of weed and insect control via pesticide applications and mechanical methods. Manage and train others on a variety of irrigation systems and coordinate watering schedules across all projects. Manage farm related capital projects.
- Works on problems of diverse scope and analyses data to evaluate solutions.
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Develop acreage placement plans in conjunction with Trialing team.
- Participates in field improvement efforts
- Understand species and variety characteristics, seed quality standards, PLC advancement priorities, and crop delivery requirements to optimize seed availabilities.
- Develop and implement programs to address agronomic issues in nursery fields including weeds, insect programs, and timely field inspections. Make pesticide and agronomic recommendations to optimize yield.
- Assist in additional Operations nursery tasks to deliver quality seed and data on time and within budget.
- General administrative management duties including preparing grower contracts and collecting, - preparing, - inputting data for reports.
- Lead seasonal farm management duties and activities including field prep, planting and maintenance tasks; irrigation scheduling; take opportunistic notes and seek resolution to control noted pests or weeds through applicable methods.
- Remain current with latest production technology and develop specialized skills (i.e., systems, data analysis, equipment maintenance, fertility, irrigation management, etc.) to support Trialing nursery team.
- Willingness to assist with outdoor, or other duties as assigned during the off season.
- Other activities as assigned
- Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Agronomy or related field
- Knowledge of general industry procedures, practices, and terminology
- Strong agronomic and pest management skills
- Individual must be authorized to work in the United States for Syngenta without work authorization sponsorship now or in the future.
- Have an applicable state spray applicators license or obtain within 6 months of accepting the role
- Good organization and computer skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially those required to successfully function as part of a cross-functional team.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex instructions.
- Experience in process improvement, automation, LEAN/Six Sigma, 5S, and imaging
- Strong communicator with ability to influence, build consensus and gain support.
- Ability to use MS Office, especially Word, Excel, Power Point and other standard office software. · Ability to learn and utilize proprietary IT systems.
- Demonstrated initiative and implementation of specific, measurable performance objectives.
- History of implementation of continuous improvements and new innovations
- Demonstrated decision making & problem-solving capabilities in the face of conflicting priorities and ambiguity
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Meet seasonal plan targets while maintaining high quality production.
- Achieve annual HSE, Continuous Improvement, and KPI targets.
- Proactive professional working relationships with seed producing vendors.
- Assessments, implementations, and execution of important business strategies relating to consistent supplies of high quality and sufficient quantity seed products.
- Ability to remain flexible and responsive when faced with multiple urgent requests
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience and understanding of agriculture research are desirable
- Maintains and documents time spent repairing equipment, parts used, and condition of machines and equipment.
- Performs preventative maintenance to agriculture machines.
- May be required to work in uncomfortable position periodically and stand for extended periods of time.
- Must follow all Health, Safety, and Environmental rules and regulations.
- 2-4 years related experience preferred
- Capable of working in high or low temperature conditions in field. Capable of lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Capable of working long hours during time-critical periods of the packaging season
- Production environment, field, laboratory, office. Domestic travel limited with occasional overnight stays
- Full Benefit Package (Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts the same day you do
- 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Paid Vacation, 9 Paid Holidays, Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) (http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmla.htm)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA
Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 30,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity's most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.