The purpose of the Research Associate is to support the local teams' efforts to create superior products and support the Manager's targeted goals for quantity, quality and efficiency for trialing. This role will assist in operations, nursery management and site operation.
- Assist the Trialing Manager, planting, note taking, pollination and harvesting of the Seed Production Nurseries.
- Assist in training, overseeing and leading tasks completed by third-party contract labor to achieve desired results.
- Effectively communicating regularly with supervisors, breeders and peers regarding the status of projects and work activities.
- Performing all tasks and behaving in a manner compliant with and in support of all safety and stewardship related company policies and practices, including completing all required company training courses
- Functioning as an integral member of a team supporting all activities. These duties include processing, packaging, planting, spraying, note taking and harvesting.
- B.S. Degree or 2 year in an agricultural related discipline, required. Candidates with relevant agriculture experience may be considered.
- Open to the use of new technology to improve the quality and quantity of operations
- A valid driver's license with an acceptable driver's history
- Good communication skills both Verbal and Written with the ability to present to groups outside department.
- Ability to use MS Office, especially Word, Excel, Power Point and other standard office software.
- Ability to learn and use proprietary systems for tracking workload and data management
- Ability and motivation to learn new technologies
- Comfortable operating agricultural equipment
- Must be able to follow and implement specific instructions and train others.
- Ability to complete objectives and tasks in a team setting or independently
- Plant, maintain, pollinate and harvest trials to meet deadlines outlined in the seed production plan.
- Must be detail oriented, organized and drive attention to accuracy. Along with the ability to continually improve a process and data driven.
- May travel to off-site locations to accurately collect and manage data obtained from trials.
Physical demands of the essential functions:
Capable of working in high or low temperature conditions in field, labs, or shop. Capable of lifting to 50 pounds. Capable of working long hours during time-critical periods of the growing season.
Working conditions while performing essential functions:
Field, labs, shop, and office settings. Domestic travel required with occasional overnight stays. Possible International travel requirements. Potential allergens, pollen, fungal spores, chemical pesticides in the field.
Seasonal travel to off-station testing locations, project meetings and equipment trainings
- Experience and an understanding of plant genetics and breeding is desirable.
- The ability to obtain a Chemical Applicators License within 3 - 6 months of hire date
- Experience with project management tools.
- Clear understanding of the practices and procedures that affect trial seed production
- Ability to use and support proprietary IT systems.
- Ability to use electronic project management tracking tools.
- Experience in field corn and soybean production
- Leading groups of people to complete a task
- Lead Self - Be a self-leader by completing task with minimal input or use experience of what needs to be done and when
- Lead Internally - ability to work with and lead co-workers
- Lead Others - Working with others locally and regionally to accomplish goals of the bigger team
What We Offer:
- Full Benefit Package (Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts the same day you do
- 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Paid Vacation, 9 Paid Holidays, Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity's most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.
At Syngenta, we believe every employee has a role to play in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. To support that challenge, the Operations Team is currently seeking a Operations Field Research Associate to be located in Highland, IL
Follow Company Alert×
Follow Company Alert Saved
Follow Company Alert