Through leading innovations, we help farmers around the world meet the challenge of feeding a growing population and taking care of our planet. We are currently seeking a Seed Production Agronomist for the Vegetable Seed Production and Supply team base in Woodland, California.
Execute established Small Seed Vegetables (SSV) seed production plans to assure that Syngenta has a consistent, timely, producible supply of high-quality seed, assure successful production of critical genetics of region through active technical liaison with Supply chain (SC), growers and third-party vendors.
- Geographically contract required production volumes with vendors to maximize yield, minimize freight costs and deliver seed meeting quality specifications.
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships along evaluation system to drive increased yields and quality.
- Understand species and variety characteristics, seed quality standards and crop delivery requirements to optimize seed availabilities.
- Develop and implement programs regarding agronomic issues in production fields including, weed, disease and insect programs, and timely field inspection programs. Suggest pesticide and agronomic recommendations to optimize yield and COGP.
- General administrative management duties including collecting - preparing - inputting data for reports.
- Foster an operational culture founded on adherence to all applicable HSE and other corporate policies, procedures and guidelines. Active leadership in the "Goal Zero" campaign.
- Work with SPR and GSPS's to test/implement new production concepts.
- Remain current with latest production technology and develop specialized skills (i.e., systems, data analysis, equipment maintenance, fertility, irrigation mgmt., etc.) to support vendors.
- Cross functional knowledge and experience of plant activities: conditioning, treating, packaging, and warehouse and distribution activities.
- Coordination with site internal Quality Labs and personnel to ensure high quality seed is delivered to the customer.
- Supervise employees and third-party personnel as required.
- Create an environment of continuous improvement and creation/implementation of action plans.
- Meet crop plan targets while maintaining high quality production.
- Achieve annual COGP and HSE targets.
- Proactive professional working relationships with seed producing vendors.
- Assessments, implementations, and execution of important business strategies relating to consistent supplies of high quality and sufficient quantity seed products.
- Individual skill assessments and developments.
- Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Agronomy or related field; or equivalent professional experience and training in addition to the experience requirement will be considered
- Typically requires 4 years of related experiences.
- Fluent in English (spoken and written).
- Knowledge of general industry procedures, practices, and terminology.
- Knowledge on Cucurbit/Solanaceae/Brassica seed production techniques.
- Excellent communication skills.
- PC and business software skills.
- Strong agronomic and pest/disease management skills.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities
- Ability to adapt to changing environmental/situational needs.
- Ability to make timely, effective decisions.
- Ability to remain flexible and responsive when faced with multiple urgent requests.
Critical leadership capabilities
- Drive Results: Focuses on customers - Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Manages for performance - Skillfully plans, organizes and monitors performance to create value and achieve excellence in delivery.
- Liberate Potential: Collaborates across boundaries - Collaborates effectively across organizational and functional boundaries and leverages diversity.
- Creates Edge: Leads change and holds ambiguity - Uses effective strategies to facilitate organizational change initiatives and overcomes resistance to change.
- Position requires being able to walk seed production fields in any weather.
- Position requires working 7 days a week during critical time of year.
- Position requires travel by car/pickup during certain periods of year.
- Position requires extensive travel during peak times of the year.
- Position requires occasional travels by plane.
- Position requires be able to work in dusty and hot conditions.
- Office environment a portion of the year.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Two years current position preferred.
- Full Benefit Package (Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts the same day you do
- 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Generous Vacation Policy along with 9 Paid Holidays
- Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
- Salary range $64,000 - $80,000
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity, and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Work Level: 3A
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) (http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmla.htm)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)(http://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/firststep/poster_direct.htm)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)(http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/eppa.htm)
Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 30,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity's most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. No matter what your position, you will have a vital role in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.