Scoular is an employee-owned $6B agribusiness leading the way since 1892. We buy, sell, store, handle and process grain and ingredients by leveraging our global networks and expertise in international trade and transportation. Employing more than 1,000 people in over 100 offices and facilities in North America and Asia, we provide safe and reliable solutions to farmers, grain processors, renewable energy producers, and manufacturers of animal feed, aquafeed, pet food, and food, beverage, and supplements. Our deep involvement in the global agricultural supply chain gives us the ability to quickly assess market needs and identify opportunities for growth and innovation.
The Senior Merchant is an experienced commodity trader with developed trade skills. This role has responsibility to interpret a market, formulate and communicate market opinions and take risk/reward positions for the Scoular company. A Senior Merchant is expected to build deep customer relationships with both the buyer and seller and plays a critical role in mentoring and guiding other Merchants on the team.
- Assure that the trade unit is in compliance with all risk management policies.
- Assess market trends, key leading indicators and is proficient in the market
- Review product supply and demand and formulate opinions related to the market to make trade decisions that create revenue for the trade unit or product group.
- Manage a position or subset of the overall position for the business
- Expected to have opinion on market everyday
- Lead execution logistics planning and strategy. Includes fundamental knowledge of truck/rail execution and commodity arbitrage.
- Manage relationships with the freight providers.
- Negotiate freight contracts.
- Arbitrage the position for optimal execution.
- Expected to problem solve in midst of execution and day to day execution issues.
Customer Relationship Building:
- Recruit customers and business that support the business unit’s business strategy.
- Develop and maintain the extensive and varied business relationships in the marketplace.
- Provide customers with accurate market information and answers to questions about their business transactions, such as settlements.
- Build effective, on-going interaction with both current and potential customers.
- Act as a front line negotiator for handling trading conflicts.
- Responsible for customer experience to ensure Scoular delivers a favorable customer experience (supplier, end user, carrier).
P&L Planning & Management:
- Partner with Trade Unit Manager to manage the P&L for the assigned business or subset of the business.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, annual P&L estimates for the trade unit or product group.
- Provide monthly P&L results and quarterly forecasts.
- Manage daily position report for the trade unit.
- Accountable to maintain position limits, credit limits and in store inventories as defined by division leadership and trade finance.
- Create forecasts to inform the Trade Unit Manager/Product Group Manager.
- Coach/mentor other Merchants on the team and give Merchandiser Assistants daily direction.
- Create/drive collaboration within the division and company.
In performing their responsibilities, employees are expected to perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision, interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers, work effectively as a team contributor and independently while understanding the necessity for communication with other employees and throughout Scoular.
The Scoular Company is an equal opportunity employer.
- 2+ years merchandising experience.
- College degree in business related field or equivalent experience.
- Proven critical thinking skills and ability to drive strategy forward.
- Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills and relationship building capability.
- Proven ability to perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated aptitude in accounting and financial practices and procedures.
- Highly skilled in problem solving techniques.
- Active involvement in industry agriculture association groups.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of agricultural macro economics.