CSS Farms is a multi-state agricultural business with a mission of Growing Great Together. We achieve our vision by leading the way in stewardship and solutions for every field, every load, every day.
At CSS Farms we take great pride in doing the job right and believe our best work is achieved when we work together. Farming is our way of life, we have a deep passion for the land, our families, and our communities. Our legacy is rooted in solving hard problems and tackling new business ventures.
The responsibility of this position is to lead authentically and collaborate with others to ensure compliance with federal OSHA, state and local Safety and Food Safety programs and regulations across all farms and facilities, while supporting operational and financial goals and objectives. This position also compiles, tracks, and supports internal Sustainability program data, metrics, and KPIs. The ideal candidate brings an extensive federal OSHA and multi-state Safety expertise with a mindset of managing and leading team members to a common goal of compliance. On-the-job training will be provided to gain Food Safety and Sustainability expertise.
This position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer and works closely with all site managers, corporate leaders and executives.
- Implements and executes federal OSHA, state and local Safety and Food Safety programs in partnership with operations leadership across farms and facilities.
- Conducts comprehensive and collaborative internal federal OSHA, state and local Safety and Food Safety audits and audit preparation activities with external stakeholders.
- Serves as steward of CSS Farms' Workplace safety culture journey by leading step change, growth, and educating employees in all areas related to Safety.
- Manages and coordinates company safety related policies and procedures including site specific documents to insure alignment with company vision, mission, and values.
- Develops and implements safety processes and programs designed to engage and encourage employees, motivate leadership, and promote accountability and successes.
- Facilitates incident investigations, near misses and root causes analyses to identify corrective actions and to determine steps to prevent future incidents.
- Supports creation and execution of safety training initiatives, and safety education programs including new employee safety training, safety leadership, hazard recognition, etc.
- Monitors emerging regulatory issues as it relates to new/changing regulations and rulemaking.
- Develop and lead communications with all farms and facilities pertaining to federal OSHA, state and local Safety and Food Safety.
- Leads and coordinates all customer and third-party audit preparations for food safety compliance in partnership with site management
- Facilitates implementation and closures of corrective actions as necessary and communicates follow-up actions to management team to ensure compliance.
- Guides and supports adherence to HACCP, GMPs, FSMA regulations, and other Food Safety regulations
- Implements and maintains databases that track regulatory requirements, trainings, and safety records.
- Compiles and distributes federal OSHA, state and local Safety, Food Safety, and Sustainability data, metrics and KPIs.
- Lead knowledge sharing among sites to improve federal OSHA, state and local Safety and food safety continuous improvement
- Provides guidance and resource support for farms and facilities during regulatory inquiries, Food external Safety Audits, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Safety Sciences, Industrial Hygiene, Industrial Engineering, or related field.
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of local, state, and federal safety regulations.
- Completion of 30-hour OSHA course or 40-hour HAZWOPER course within the past 3 years
- 3+ years' experience in directing/managing Workplace Safety function at multiple facilities, regionally and/or enterprise wide
- 3+ years of both internal and external workplace safety auditing experience.
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience with safety management systems, and/or learning management systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with the financial implications of the workplace and food safety functions, including but not limited to P&L, and ROI.
- Certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist, or other industry recognized certification.
- Strong analytical skills, strategic thinking abilities, communication skills and an understanding of organizational behaviors.
- Proven track record of effectively collaborating across business units, divisions, or regions.
- Ability to influence and work on a team, as well as passion, drive, and the ability to self-start.
- Willingness and ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism.
- Demonstrated initiative and independence of action in performing the responsibilities of the position to identify and implement solutions with team input.
- Proficient skill with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) as well as teleconferencing tools such as Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
- Ability to present information in a competent, efficient manner in communicating with the various levels of company personnel.
- Demonstrated skill in managing many projects simultaneously and prioritizing workloads appropriately using strong organizational skills with excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated strong work-ethic, outstanding leadership ability and exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to comprehend, read, write, and communicate proficiently in English and interact with all levels of the organization.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including ability to work with site administrative staff.
- Ability to travel up to 30-40% of work time with flexibility in schedule for site audits, compliance response activities and routine company meetings and events.
Qualifications that can be learned through on-the-job training:
- In depth knowledge of Produce Safety Rules.
- Skills and experience in documentation of Food Safety and Sustainability programs.
- Expertise in Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) Food Safety plans.
- Fundamental knowledge of each of the primary Food Safety programs within the US produce market.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire
- Market competitive salary
- Healthcare, Dental and Vision coverage as outlined in the company benefits overview
- Flex spending account for out-of-pocket medical expenses
- 401(k) plan options
- Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, and Life Insurance
- A competitive self-managed PTO program
CSS Farms is an EOE.
CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.