At Corteva Agriscience, you will help us to enrich the lives of those who produce and those who consume, ensuring progress for generations to come! No matter what your role, you will be part of a team that is building the future of agriculture – solving the world’s food problems through innovation, technology, and putting people first.
Corteva Agriscience is seeking a Research Assistant to join our multi-crop research center in Garden City, KS. The Research Assistant will serve as a part of a multi-crop team supporting local corn breeding programs and regional yield testing of wheat and sorghum as well as special projects exploring cropping systems. The Research Assistant will participate in phenotyping and characterization activities by following established protocols to ensure high quality data is collected on all crops. The ideal candidate will have an enthusiasm for collaborating in a team environment where evolving technologies in agriculture are driving product development.
Benefits – Part of what makes Corteva a great place to work:
- Competitive wages from $19 - $22 per hour based on qualifications, education, and experience.
- Strong work-life balance opportunities with robust time off benefits; new hires start with 4 weeks off each year. We also have 10 paid holidays, excellent paid maternity, paternity and family illness leave.
- Prepare for your future with our generous 401K retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more.
- Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your VERY FIRST day of employment.
- And much, much more!
Responsibilities - What you can expect:
- Collect phenotypic data by serving as a local drone pilot performing flights for all crops.
- Participate in experiment planning and seed filling activities to prepare for planting.
- Participate in local corn breeding program activities such as inventory management, hand pollinating corn inbreds, hand harvest and processing of inbred lines.
- Operate planting, harvest, and spray equipment as well as implements for field preparation by utilizing GPS software.
- Assist with plot maintenance by scouting weed, insect and disease pressure across crops.
- Operate and maintenance irrigation systems used to facilitate drought characterization of corn hybrids.
- Supervise contract labor and interns to complete center research activities according to protocols while ensuring a safe working environment.
Requirements - Who You Are:
- Associate’s degree in agriculture or related scientific field with 2-4 years related experience.
- Knowledge of agronomy, crop production, and plant development are preferred.
- Strong attention to detail in a deadline driven environment.
- Ability to operate agricultural equipment while observing all safety requirements.
- Demonstrate skills in leadership, operational safety, supervision and time management.
- Ability to develop a working relationship with team members by exhibiting excellent communication and personal interaction skills with a diverse group of people.
- Must be capable of working in varying ergonomic and environmental conditions for extended periods of time.
- Flexibility to work extended days at critical times of the season. Some overnight stays during planting and harvesting required.
- A valid driver’s license is required, and a CMV license is preferred for trailer towing.
- Ability to obtain a pesticide private applicators license in Kansas.
- Ability to obtain part 107 sUAS (drone) remote pilot license.