Purpose: Conducts and monitors trials to characterize the field performance of new chemistry compounds and product concepts, in line with a global research program provided by the relevant Field Sciences Centers of Expertise (CoE), following all company stewardship guidelines. Provides input into globally driven protocols, summarizes data at the local level and contributes to global data summaries in line with established Research Cycle processes. Provides local knowledge on crop management practices, issues and trends to Field Sciences teams as well as the commercial organization. Reports to the ANZ Field Sciences Leader.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Accountable for flawless field trial execution: Working to approved biology plans, understanding and writing of protocols, forecasting sample needs and organizing shipments of test items. In conjunction with Research Centre Leader, is accountable for overseeing exact planning of trial crops, crop inputs and their maintenance, managing disease and insect requirements for trials. Is responsible for test item application, disease inoculations and evaluations as well as timely upload of data to pertinent data bases.
- Prepares trial and interim data summaries for in-house and virtual field tours and participates in external customer field tours as required.
- Meets all requirements of regulatory operating permits and completes all internal Safety Standard documentation as required.
- Works with Regulatory specialists to ensure that all trial work is done in compliance with local regulations.
- Summarizes data from individual trials for Key Answer files, multiple trials for Protocol Summary Files and presents data to Field Sciences stakeholders.
- May assist CoE and Zonal Biology Leaders in local data generation for pipeline and existing products to ensure optimal technical value propositions for final products and cost-efficient trial plans.
- Measures and documents field performance, understands resistance issues, and identifies trends and issues relative to the ongoing agronomic operation of the research center.
- Meets all administrative requirements, including resource, time, and expense reporting.
- May serve as a technical expert for specific products and crops in the assigned territory.
- May represent the company at relevant academic and government institutes in the assigned territory, understands emerging trends and technology related to agriculture.
- May serve as focal point for Field Sciences locally and/or globally pertaining to technical issues and queries related to the assigned products.
- May work with the Digital Innovation team in Field Sciences to provide technical support, input and testing of next-generation pest control and agricultural practices.
- May help supervise and provide input to special projects or post-graduate student projects run at the Research Centre.
Location and Travel: Role will be based at Waireka Research Centre in Omata, New Plymouth, Taranaki.
Travel may be required to off-site trial locations, relevant industry events and internal team meetings.
- Broad scientific and agronomic understanding and project leadership.
- BSc or higher in Plant Pathology, Entomology or Agricultural Sciences, with demonstratable practical experience in the execution and management of field trials.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on best available information.
- Excellent understanding of trial design, statistics, data analysis and presentation.
- Versatile individual who can solve practical problems and is highly committed to a strong safety and stewardship culture.
- Ability to interact with local and global team members. Excellent English communication skills.