Herdsman - Elite Dairy
An elite dairy operation in the Midwest is in need of a great Herdsman person or couple team. Family owned and operated for a several generations, this farm is a "show place" and has recently remodeled the entire parlor, etc. This elite, registered, "type" herd, requires someone with a real industry genetic passion as well as overall solid production and management skill-set and proven ability (we WILL check references). The cattle are on the top of industry standards for type/kind and productions records. A successful candidate may have the ability to own a few of their own cattle at the farm, kids could show this operation"s heifers/cows/etc. at local, regional and national shows as part of the benefits package. Additionally, the family owners have a vision for growth in the future. This is a very active family within the industry and at the consumer level. This position is focused on the cattle side of the operation, but will have some cross over into the forages and cropping enterprises during peak seasons.
If you DON"T have a love and passion for really good dairy cattle, and the initiative to see and get things done without needing to be told what to do every day, don"t bother applying! This Herdsman position will NOT be highly supervised and will NOT be micro-managed!
What"s in it for you:
• Housing and great family "show place" atmosphere.
• Herd Management: milking, feeding, breeding, herd health, misc.
• Assist in preparing herd for classification.
• Maintain animal health records in PCDart.
Key responsibilities for the Herdsman - Elite Dairy:
• All aspects of facility management.
• Animal Facilities - daily care and well-being for all herd, from calves to lactation.
• Dairy feeding, manure management, etc.
• Check fluids in equipment on a regular basis.
• Coordinate routine maintenance with the Farm Manager on equipment needed for daily farm operation, TMR Feed Cart, skid-loaders, etc.
• Seasonal field work (as needed).
• Continuing education - Attend short courses, industry events/shows/trade shows.
• Propose specialized training as needed (PDPW, AI training, etc.)
A successful candidate for this Herdsman - Elite Dairy will have:
• At least 5 years of on farm, dairy experience and passion for the elite dairy cattle industry.
• AI, feeding, milking, equipment, cropping and overall dairy cattle production and management skill sets.
• Dedication and strong overall work ethic.
• Ability to work within a small family organization that takes pride in their cattle and overall business operations.
• Solid working knowledge of PC Dart and DC305 programs.
Compensation: Compensation for this role will be hourly or salary, plus a potential housing opportunity for the right person and potential year-end bonuses when the overall industry is profitable.
Benefits: The company offers some benefits.
Desired Location: The Herdsman position will be at the operation located in Central Illinois.
Ag 1 Source has been focused on Executive Level Agriculture recruiting since 2002, our network runs deep. If this role isn"t quite the right fit for you, but, are still open in exploring career growth, feel free to do so HERE. Or, if you know someone who may be interested in this role, please reach out HERE. We provide up to a $500 referral bonus for individuals that are referred and we place.
*Candidates must be eligible to work in the US as well as meet the qualifications listed above in order to be considered for the Herdsman job.