Director of Farming Operations - NY
Primary Job Purpose:
Ag 1 Source is assisting an industry leading organization to find a Director of Farming Operations for their New York state holdings. The primary function of this position is to support the overall company operations by providing leadership, direction, and mentorship to the farming systems within the organization. This position will oversee all feed and forage crop production and manure management activities including land stewardship, record keeping, production, equipment, and farming team development.
What"s in it for you:
• Oversee all of the day-to-day farming operations (15,000+ acres).
• Create an environment that promotes positive morale and a great performance.
• Build alliances and partnerships throughout the organization.
• Identify and address opportunities for the farming and crop operations team.
• Provide mentoring and guidance to team members to help address opportunities.
What will your primary duties and responsibilities be?:
• Support all team members" success on the farming production team.
• Ensure that each team member, piece of equipment, and land is working to its greatest potential.
• Provide leadership, guidance, direction, and operate in a way that embodies ideal company values and culture.
What will your daily duties and responsibilities be?:
• Evaluate the performance of all operations and teams by interpreting data and metrics.
• Provide supervision, direction and coordination of the team by communicating the daily tasks/assignments.
• Coordinate scheduling and timing of seasonal activities of crop production and manure applications (ie. fitting, planting, harvesting).
• Implement new technology and practices to advance operations performance.
• Build positive relationships and coordinate with independent growers, vendors, and consultants.
• Work with consultants and the dairy operations director to determine feed production needs, rotations, and allocation of resources.
• Determine areas for improvement and develop strategic plans.
• Ensure accurate data and records are maintained for production, land management, grower, consultant and CAFO requirements.
• Work with equipment maintenance team to ensure that crop operations equipment is properly maintained and in good working order.
• Coordinate with facility maintenance team and dairy operations to support initiatives by providing additional team members for help.
• Inspect the teams" work to ensure that there is proper care for land, crops, equipment, facility and team members.
• Inspect crops to ensure maturity, limit crop damage and timing of harvest.
• Select seed varieties with high yield and disease/insect resistant characteristics for the planed environment.
• Select and purchase machinery, supplies and other resources/materials needed to fulfill the goals and objectives within budget.
• Hire, discharge, transfer, and promote team members.
• Develop and provide guidance on budgetary planning for the feed production crop operations team with the business operations team.
• Support the human resources department by aiding with coaching, disciplinary actions, performance and compensation.
• Help develop and monitor goals, budgets, project timelines and other organizational practices.
A successful candidate for this Director of Farming Operations job will possess the following:
• Proven 10 years of history managing large farming operations of at least 5,000 acres or more.
• Very strong overall background in sustainable utilization of all livestock/crop operation nutrients.
• Proven ability to build alliances and partnerships throughout the organization and with external vendors.
• Proven ability to identify and address opportunities of improvement, and overall efficiency for the farming and crop operations team.
• History of successfully leading, mentoring and guiding team members to help address opportunities.
• Proven daily, weekly, monthly, semi-annually, and annual planning, directing and scheduling of operational needs.
Compensation: Total compensation will be in the $80K-$100K range, base salary and bonus program.
Benefits: The company provides a strong benefits plan with medical, etc.
Desired Location: The preferred location for the Director of Farming Operation is the Ithaca, NY area.
Ag 1 Source has been focused on Executive Level Agriculture recruiting since 2002, our network runs deep. If this role isn"t quite the right fit for you, but, are still open in exploring career growth, feel free to do so HERE. Or, if you know someone who may be interested in this role, please reach out HERE. We provide up to a $500 referral bonus for individuals that are referred and we place.
*Candidates must be eligible to work in the US as well as meet the qualifications listed above in order to be considered for the Director of Farming Operations job.