Director of Environmental Programs
The Director of Environmental Programs will be the primary staff supporting the environmental committee and will participate in long range planning with regard to environmental programs and research. Responsibilities and essential job functions of this position include: the development, implementation, and coordination of environmental programs concerning pork production related to air quality and odor, water quality and conservation, and swine manure management, and environmental life cycle assessments. This includes the development and delivery of technical and educational materials for producers, educators, veterinarians, and other stakeholders in these areas.
The Director of Environmental Programs will collaborate with producers, company leadership, the environmental committee, State Pork Associations and the U.S. pork industry to aggressively identify and manage environmental opportunities and risks. The Director of Environmental Programs manages the environmental strategy, programming, projects and research by coordinating, communicating, and developing relationships with the environmental science research and technical expertise communities. This person will assess and respond to pork producer identified needs and will coordinate with the State Pork Associations to determine their needs. Background requirements of position:
• Education: B.S. in environmental science, agricultural or environmental engineering, biology, agronomy, food animal production, environmental management or related discipline. Advanced degrees encouraged.
• Skills: Ability to effectively communicate orally and in written form with producers, educators, veterinarians, government officials, and other professionals; capability to facilitate and coordinate the development of cooperative programs with various groups.
• Minimum of seven years experience in managing environmental programs or projects and/or additional academic education
• Experience in the agricultural environmental regulatory/public policy arena
• Basic and applied environmental science experience in the following areas: agronomy/soils, manure/nutrient management, water quality and odor
• Experience and ability to develop, recommend, manage and execute environmental research strategies based on input from a wide-range of stakeholders
• Knowledge of the interface of public health and the environment
• Proven ability to quickly read, analyze and concisely summarize technical information, such as environmental and economic models, and assist with development of communication messaging for a wide range of audiences
• Proven ability to build lasting professional relationships and work collaboratively as part of an industry team, while being a driver of industry needs
This position requires knowledge of Board of Directors practices/policies, and regular and reliable attendance.
Job Keywords: Swine, hogs, sows, boars, gilts, pigs, facilities, buildings, farms, operations, manure, environment, education, research, presentations, producers, Iowa
*Candidates must be eligible to work in the US as well as meet the qualifications listed above in order to be considered for the Director of Environmental Programs job.