Scoular's business is growing! Scoular is currently recruiting individuals with strong backgrounds in food manufacturing to work in a new, state of the art, 105,000 square foot freeze-dried pet food ingredients facility. Qualified candidates have the opportunity to help Scoular capitalize on the fast-growing and high demand freeze dried pet food market, a market projected to grow 20% per year, by working in a brand-new facility located in Seward, NE on track to open in Fall 2020.
An employee-owned company with more than $4 billion in sales, Scoular employs more than 1,000 people in over 100 offices and facilities in North and South America, and Asia. For over 125 years, feed and food customers have been counting on Scoular to create safe and reliable supply chain solutions for end-users and suppliers of grain, feed ingredients, and food ingredients around the globe.
This leadership position is responsible for developing and managing all Food Safety, Quality and Product Innovation programs and strategies for Scoular's freeze-dried pet food ingredient manufacturing. This position leads product development through pet food formula development, product renovation and reverse engineering efforts from concept to launch based on customer requirements and pet food insights, trends and concepts. Position will also be responsible for Food Safety and Quality programs and teams to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements including GSFI, FDA, USDA, and AAFCO requirements for pet products and the manufacturing facility.
Lead Product Development and Innovation programs:
Lead food safety, quality, and regulatory strategies and programs:
- Manage team responsible for development and commercialization of innovative freeze-dried pet food products.
- Responsible for product development projects and prioritization to ensure all key milestones are met consistently before products are launched
- Create and manage all Product Development processes and policies to ensure exceptional customer service, food safety and quality.
- Lead and/or coach all efforts to cost engineer products to achieve or improve cost targets provided by customers or internal teams
- Ensure meetings and presentations to support new product development are of high quality and customer facing value.
- Create specification guidelines with product attributes and tolerances for adherence during product development
Build & Maintain Customer Relationships:
- Develop and manage ALL food safety and quality programs and procedures for manufacturing facility including proper sanitation schedule
- Drive compliance to FSMA, FDA, USDA, AAFCO and all other regulatory requirements both from a facility level and product level
- Responsible for all GSFI certification and audit programs to drive 24/7 audit readiness (internal, customer, 3rd party)
- Develop raw material inspection policies and procedures
- Develop and manage supplier quality programs inclusive of audits and score-carding
- Develop direct relationships and connectivity with customer to ensure turn-key value-added services.
- Understand specific customer brand profiles and requirements
- Contribute as a key member of freeze-dried pet food business leadership team with deep expertise in food safety, quality and product innovation
- Lead and provide guidance to team of 2-3 direct reports and 10-12 indirect food science, quality and sanitation team members
- Collaborate closely with the manufacturing team and across functions to implement effective continuous improvement methodologies across the business to improve yield and quality.
- Bachelor's degree in Food Science or Veterinary Medicine
- 7+ years of product development experience to include minimum of 3 years of leadership of product development and innovation strategies
- Technical expertise with freeze dried product development and technology
- Experience with Raw & Ready to Eat manufacturing environments, product development, and quality programs
- Deep knowledge in HACCP planning, FSMA/food safety compliance and good manufacturing practices (GMPs)
- Ability to inspire and influence team members and customers
- Ability to effectively lead through complexity and ambiguity
- Pet food industry experience strongly preferred
The Scoular Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer
See job description