Job Description / Essential Elements:
Under the direction of the Principal, the Secondary Classroom Teacher is responsible to provide a sound educational program utilizing the most effective instructional and motivational techniques to carry out the District's mission statement and all conditions prescribed in the approved curriculum of the school. The teacher is expected to maintain a safe, caring, student-centered environment that promotes high academic and ethical standards and to perform other duties directly related to this position description.
DESCRIPTION OF BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides for optimum learning experiences within the framework of the prescribed curriculum including lesson planning and instructional objectives.
- Implements the appropriate actions and strategies delineated for the school vis-a-vis the District's mission statement and provides planned learning experiences which will adapt the curriculum to the specific needs of each pupil.
- Creates a functional and attractive environment for learning.
- Successfully meets/accomplishes subject matter objectives and curriculum performance standards established by their respective department.
- Ensures the continual improvement of learning for every secondary school student.
- Participates in curriculum development programs within the school/department or on a District level.
- Demonstrates leadership and support of the administrative and educational philosophies of the school and District.
Additional Related Duties/Responsibilities:
- Evaluates pupil's academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, prepares progress reports and communicates with parents as needed on pupil's progress.
- Maintains a preparation-conference period each day, during which time the teacher is available for conferences with students, parents and site administration.
- Meets all classes punctually and for the entire prescribed period.
- Makes adequate arrangements for substitute teachers, including:
- Notification of necessary absence in advance to SEMS
- Notification of pending absence to Principal's Secretary.
- Preparation of adequate lesson plans for substitute.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the professional development of self and colleagues through involvement in growth activities and opportunities.
- Selects and requisitions books, instructional aids, and instructional supplies; maintains required inventory records.
- Ensures a comfortable room environment through control of heating, lighting and ventilation to the extend possible.
- Administers group standardized tests in accordance with District testing program.
- Shares in sponsorship of student activities and participates on faculty committees.
- Ability to work at a desk, conference table or in meetings of various configurations.
- Ability to stand and circulate for extended periods of time.
- Ability to see for purposes of reading correspondence, documents, and other printed matter and observing students.
- Ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels.
- Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand normal conversation.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to carry up to 25 pounds.
- Moderate to high stress level.
- Work is predominantly in classroom, school environment.
- Temperature - normal climate.
- Daily contact with students, teachers and school staff.
- Regular/occasional contact with parents, community members and outside agency personnel.
- Holds an appropriate California Teaching Credential or valid emergency certification issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- First Aid and CPR certification.
Dexterity and physical condition to maintain a rigorous work schedule and meet standards of physical and mental health. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Appropriate California Single Subject: AGRICULTURE credential with CLAD or BCLAD equivalent.
- Letter of Introduction
- Letter(s) of Recommendation (3 Letters of Recommendation)