Senior Nursery Technician (9561C) 26839
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance academic and artistic, political and cultural make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 27, 2019
The College of Natural Resources serves society by generating and disseminating knowledge in the biological, physical, and social sciences in order to provide the tools both to protect the Earth's natural resources and ensure economic and ecological sustainability for future generations.
- Water Plants - including weekends and holidays, drip installation and monitoring
- Greenhouse Maintenance - growth chambers, equipment, nutrient pumps, autoclave operation
- Greenhouse Management - recharge, chemical inventory and safety self-inspection
- Plant propagation and care - per researcher request as recharge
- Insect and disease control - weekly scouting, submit pesticide use reports to CA DPR, pesticide application
- Greenhouse safety - training on IIPP, BEP, pesticide use, equipment use
- Seasonal field work - field prep and cleanup, t-tape and mulch setup, summer watering, weed removal, tractor operation
- Purchasing - including sourcing, researching, and compliance with University purchasing procedures (BluCard holder).
- Able to perform physical labor under often strenuous conditions, including extreme heat
- Ability to independently life and carry up to 40 pounds
- Ability to work weekend and holiday rotations when scheduled
- Ability to work well independently with minimal supervision and work in a team
- Ability to prioritize assignments under pressure
- Demonstrated experience in routine greenhouse procedures
- Demonstrated experience with mist and irrigation set-ups
- Effective communication and organizational skills
- Six years of greenhouse, nursery, or horticulture experience or technical gardening school education and 3 years' experience in nursery techniques
- High school diploma or equivalent; ability to read, write, and perform basic math calculations
- Experience with transgenic plants and pesticide safety regulations
- Experience with pesticides and/or willingness to apply pesticides if necessary, while following all safety rules and regulations
Salary & Benefits
The position is non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Service Unit (SX) between the University of California and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Employment is contingent upon passing a physical exam for respirator use.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=26839&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency