The Senior Development Scientist is a lead innovator in fats and oils technology for Food Service frying to support Large Chain Food Service (LCFS) customers. Acts as a key technology resource for the oils and fats product line in Food Service oils and the food applications areas of coating technology, frying, blending, and sensory. Works with leading LCFS customers to identify key problems and opportunities to bring insights into development projects that result in customer value. Drives the identification and implementation of cutting edge technology robotics, deep learning and AI, and integration into projects to supports the strategic direction of the Food Service category. Seeks out new opportunities to combine food technology, restaurant equipment evolution, oil formulations, and digital integration to deliver differentiate solutions to customers. Develops new products and service systems that are translated into commercial applications and value. As a senior investigator will propose, plan, drive execution, and support implementation during commercial release. Identifies opportunities that capture IP throughout the discovery process and proactively works with intellectual asset management team. Typical work split is 50% customer/business interactions and 50% project work.
30% Research Focus on Opportunities:
- Converts insights from customer meetings, global Food Service regional input, and emerging trends and technology into projects. Projects are designed to translate research into marketable customer solutions and core knowledge for customer support.
- Identifies research focus of projects from discovery to commercialization. Plans research activities, required resources, risks, and budget to completions.
- Independently design complex research project and is accountable to deliver projects within scope and timeline. Will delegate certain aspects of execution to junior team members.
- Combines deep technical technology and customer experience into project development and execution to accelerate the creation of a finished product that meeting commercial expectation. Has experience to modify project approach during discovery phase.
30% Product Development and Trials:
- Creates customer problem statement to be solved which creates global and regional business value. Draws upon expertise of Cargill global research and applications team for input to approach.
- Utilizes technology knowledge to understand the interaction of oil and frying systems on food products to deliver taste, nutrition, and quality to consumers.
- Independently designs complex research and development projects to understand the chemistry of frying that contributes to food quality. Will leverage global research expertise to drive differentiate approaches to accelerate product development while delivering target goals of food performance.
- Uses frying lab and customer store operations to quantify developed product. Will engage internal enabling sciences in sensory, analytics, and packaging to support product development. Will coordinate testing in regional centers to deliver on global expectations or to make required modifications for regional adaption.
- Analyzes, interprets, and documents project results at key gates to Food Service business and sales teams.
- Will determine next steps in project or required modification in trial activities. Manager will provide minor recommendations on forward direction.
- Advocate for safety through training, tips, observations, feedback, and insights.
20% Portfolio Contributions and Customer Communications:
- Contributes to the Food Service category innovation pipeline with ideas which can convert scientific insight into value added products and frying systems. Connects the science of frying and food science to commercial applications that are differentiated and valued by the customer.
- Directly contributes to the innovation pipeline within the strategic focus of the Food Service category. Brings insights from a broad swath of industry innovations that when combined create unique business opportunities.
- Coordinates and monitors progress of complex projects in Food Service R&D. Projects can have multiple sub projects which need to be coordinated by the Developer to drive interdependencies. Ensures proper resources are allocated to achieve goals and budget target.
- Designs and delivers complex communication material to support product releases and process improvements to internal and external customers.
- In collaboration with Technical and Field Service teams, develops and supports the delivery of training materials and solutions to customers.
20% Customer and Business Relationships for Value Creation:
- Uses deep technical knowledge of fats and oil in frying and food service applications to support innovation through partnering with the Food Service category business and key strategic customers ( for example McDonald's, Culvers, YUM Brands, Wendy's, etc.).
- Identifies the next emerging trend and technology in the food service space through partnerships with universities, food service equipment manufacturers, tec